IP address

Help with using MiniMyth (except Booting)

Moderator: Pablo

rexmyth

IP address

Post by rexmyth » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:07 pm

Hi
I am booting off a compact flash drive
How do I set the IP address of the Minimyth device?
I don't want to set up a DHCP server

Regards
REX

I Use Dial

Post by I Use Dial » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:42 am

What is your current network configuration? In glancing at the minimyth.conf description, it doesn't appear that you can set a static IP in minimyth. (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

You don't have to set your master backend up as a DHCP server. I use my home router.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:24 pm

You are correct. MiniMyth requires that you have at least a basic DHCP server. While MiniMyth allows the user to set/override DHCP parameters not found in some home Internet gateway routers, it assumes that there is a DHCP server on the network that will provide the client IP address, subnet mask and default gateway. Since most have a Internet gateway router (or computer acting as a DHCP server and/or Internet gatway router) that can act as a DHCP server, this appeared to be a tolerable restriction.

Changing this is somewhat non-trivial. MiniMyth always runs the DHCP client. MiniMyth's DHCP override variables are just that. MiniMyth runs the DHCP client but DHCP override variable values override their respective parameter/option values that may or may not be returned by the DHCP server. If there is no DCHP server on the local network, then MiniMyth cannot run the DHCP client. As a result, there would need to be a different processing path for the DHCP override variables.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

TomF

Re: IP address

Post by TomF » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:59 pm

Is this information still current?

In the documentation for the config file it says:
If you do not have an appropriate DHCP server on your network, then you can use the MM_DHCP_ADDRESS DHCP override variable on the boot line in order to manually configure the MiniMyth system's address. If you provide MM_DHCP_ADDRESS, then MiniMyth will assume that you are manually configuring all configuration normally obtained from the DHCP server and will not start the DHCP client.
I tried to do the same thing as rexmyth (just to avoid a DHCP server as another potential source of trouble). I didn't read the documentation as detailed as I should have. Because only when I saw this post I double checked and I noticed that the documentation says that the address must be set in the boot line.

For all other DHCP override variables it says "...or in the Minimyth configuration file". But not for the IP address. I will try this tonight back home.

It might be a bit misleading that this variable is actually in the configuration file.

TomF

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:43 pm

You are right. I have added some text in attempt to clarify it.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

TomF

Post by TomF » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:09 am

Thanks very much. I can also confirm that the IP address in the boot line works.

My syslinux.cfg file now looks like this:

Code: Select all

DEFAULT minimyth
TIMEOUT 10

LABEL minimyth
        KERNEL kernel
        APPEND ro root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=96000 initrd=rootfs MM_DHCP_ADDRESS=192.168.0.4