Help with using MiniMyth (except Booting)
- Site Admin
- Posts: 4182
- Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:13 am
- Location: La Jolla
MiniMyth includes four media payers: mythfrontend, mplayer, vlc and xine. Since MiniMyth is intended to support MythTV frontend functionality, it is natural for MiniMyth to include mythfrontend. In addition, MythStream relies on mplayer, so it is somewhat natural for MiniMyth to include mplayer.
Historically, MiniMyth has included VLC and Xine due to shortcomings in mythfrontend's ability to handle some DVDs and some media formats. However, as of MythTV 0.23, I no longer use either VLC or Xine to handle DVDs or video formats that are not handled by mythfrontend.
Therefore, based on my experience, I would remove both VLC and Xine from MiniMyth. However, I would like to know whether or not those using MythTV 0.23 or 0.24 require either VLC and/or Xine in order to play back media content that they cannot e play back using mythfrontend.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page
- Posts: 168
- Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:46 pm
- Location: Watching Mythtv via Minimyth
Only ever used myth internal myself.
- Posts: 185
- Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:12 pm
I use Xine with MiniMyth 0.23.
- Posts: 98
- Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:14 am
Use Xine Also....
Have a 600mHZ Via openchrome board. Xine is the only player that works with DVD menus and no stuttering. Just a bug with remote.
But My newer ASUS ION fanless are fantastic with mythfrontend as the players, so kind of with you, its time the options were reduced.
Maybe time for new Hardware in that box.... but how do you get an ION to SCART or composite as the TV is not worth bin yet?
- Posts: 79
- Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:06 am
- Location: Netherlands
I never use xine or vlc, only the internal player and the mplayer.
MiniMyth on Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H / Intel E8500 / GT520
- Posts: 64
- Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:08 am
Only ever used myth internal
- Posts: 45
- Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 2:00 am
Internal (mythfrontend) and mplayer.
- Posts: 15
- Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:51 am
Never used xine, or vlc.
Now that python is part of minimyth is there a chance that xbmc might make it in somehow? I am interested to try it out with a few different things.
- Posts: 27
- Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:12 am
I only use the internal player.
- Posts: 377
- Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:32 pm
Since moving to 0.24 I've been trying to survive with internal player only. But still it has problems with some videos/dvd:s.
- I have configured mplayer as alternative player, and it just plays all I throw to it, but unfortunately it does not show dvd menus.
- I haven't figure how to use xine as dvd files alternative player, because I have mplayer already configured. But I think that xine is still needed until internal player can handle all dvd content properly.
If possible, please don't remove xine yet.
- Posts: 125
- Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:59 pm
- Location: Madison, WI
I only use the internal and mplayer myself.
- Posts: 29
- Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:51 pm
Using 0.23, how would you play a VCD with mythfrontend alone ?
The help text says that the internal player can not do this.
I'm fiddling around with the other players and VCD and so far the only player showing the video on the CD is vlc
- Posts: 71
- Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:45 am
I use internal and mplayer, at about a 2:1 ratio. Wish I could use the internal for more stuff, but it's just... buggier. (And occasionally I'll find one that the internal one plays fine but mplayer chokes on, but that's a rare find!)