libcec not present?

Help with using MiniMyth (except Booting)

Moderator: Pablo

jack
Contributor

libcec not present?

Post by jack » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:34 pm

Hi,

I have just upgraded to 0.25. Although it looks like myth has been compiled for cec support, it is not functional and I cannot find libcec.so anywhere in minimyth 0.25.0-80.

Should the library files be there or do you think there might be something else wrong with my setup?

Having getting it in the neck for taking so long doing the upgrade, I can't 'take ages playing with the TV' any more for today, though I should be able to fiddle with it later on in the week.

Pablo
Site Admin

Re: libcec not present?

Post by Pablo » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:32 pm

Yes, libcec is not in the image. I noticed two days ago that libcec is dlopen-ed rather than linked. As a result, libcec was not automatically included in the image. I have fixed this with commit 9042.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

jack
Contributor

Post by jack » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:41 am

It is there on .81 - thanks.

Whilst the cec-client program works, mythfrontend doesn't seem to take any notice :(

Off to the mythtv lists with this one methinks.

roundel

Post by roundel » Mon May 14, 2012 12:42 pm

Jack,

Did you get anywhere with this? CEC is really my reason to upgrade.

It does sound possible thought that the PC h/w doesn't do anything with the CEC line, and we could need to use the £30 USB-CEC adapter from pulse-eight.com...

jack
Contributor

Post by jack » Mon May 14, 2012 1:02 pm

Yeah, you will need the pulse-eight hardware.

I haven't had much time to look into the problem, work commitments and holidays have kept me too busy to get a dev environment sorted out so I can figure out what's happening.

Everything I've seen and been told on the MythTV side seems to expect it to 'just work' and unfortunately there's nothing much in the way of documentation to help figure out why it isn't.

roundel

Post by roundel » Mon May 14, 2012 6:56 pm

Oh dear. Well it looks like I'll be investing in the pulse-eight hardware, and I'll post my success or lack thereof.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Thu May 17, 2012 2:57 am

roundel wrote:Oh dear. Well it looks like I'll be investing in the pulse-eight hardware, and I'll post my success or lack thereof.
Yes, it unfortunate that computer graphics cards with HDMI support do not appear to provide support for HDMI CEC.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

roundel

Post by roundel » Thu May 17, 2012 9:50 am

Indeed. as I understand it, it's because of all the rebranding of CEC to "Simplink" etc. No graphics card manufacturer wants to see returns because TV manufacturers want to adopt their own flavour of the standard.

jack
Contributor

Post by jack » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:51 pm

OK, I've done a little more digging with this. Still no success as of yet though :(

Firstly, I noticed that syslogd was stopping before mythfrontend starts, so after restarting that I was able to see some debugging information. Myth is able to see the device but fails to open it.

Aha! User minimyth does not have permission to read/write /dev/ttyACM0.

I fix the permission problem and restart X and .....

mythfrontend segfaults while trying to open the CEC device :(

I'm not sure if the following is any help :

Code: Select all

mythfrontend[1736]: segfault at c799c381 ip c799c381 sp bfb9729c error 5
Can anyone suggest anything to diagnose the fault please?

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:02 pm

I do not know why it is failing. I do not have the device, so I am unable to debug it.

Anyway, I just committed the change that should solve the permissions issue.

ac9bj

Post by ac9bj » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:40 pm

Pablo,

What would one need to do to an existing 0.25.2 minimyth distro (PXE + NFS root) to apply the change you just made to ensure that /dev/ttyACM is writable?

jack
Contributor

Post by jack » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:39 pm

I've got it working!!

I am using 0.25.2-81

I need to allow write permissions to /dev/ttyACM0 and /var/lock

If mythfrontend starts after those permissions are set it accepts input via HDMI-CEC :D

The bad news (for me) is that I've just got SkyTV and their box does not support CEC, meaning I have to stick with the Harmony remote I was trying to retire :(

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:11 am

ac9bj wrote:Pablo,

What would one need to do to an existing 0.25.2 minimyth distro (PXE + NFS root) to apply the change you just made to ensure that /dev/ttyACM is writable?
MiniMyth 82 has the change.