Parental control broken in .25-81b4?

Help with using MiniMyth (except Booting)

Moderator: Pablo

Synergy
Contributor

Parental control broken in .25-81b4?

Post by Synergy » Sun May 13, 2012 6:49 pm

Since updating to b4, I've found that it's not possible to select different parental levels using the remote. (1-4, followed by a PIN in mythvideo).

B3, this works fine.

Does anyone know if the method changed, or is this a bug?

Thanks!

m_theredhead
Contributor

Re: Parental control broken in .25-81b4?

Post by m_theredhead » Mon May 14, 2012 2:24 pm

Hello,

I just tested and it isn't working for me either.

Pressing 1-4 used to bring up a dialogue box requesting the PIN for the that level.

Now, it causes the highlighted video box to change to different folders or movies. Almost like it is searching for the nearest match to a movie beginning with a '1' or a '4' for example.

As a result, I am unable to change levels.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Thu May 17, 2012 2:58 am

I do not know. There is a MythTV bug report that parental controls are broken. The report includes a potential fix that I have applied to MiniMyth. It is possible that the fix is not complete.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

m_theredhead
Contributor

Post by m_theredhead » Thu May 17, 2012 4:32 am

The fix you applied for early .25-81bX releases was working.

I am guessing with b4, you pulled the latest fixes of mythtv. If so, I wonder if something new is conflicting.

Michael

m_theredhead
Contributor

Post by m_theredhead » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:46 pm

According to the trac ticket, this should be solved now in the 0.25-fixes branch and the extra patch should no longer be required:

http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10388

So hopefully at the next update this will no longer be an issue.

Michael

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:40 pm

m_theredhead wrote:According to the trac ticket, this should be solved now in the 0.25-fixes branch and the extra patch should no longer be required:

http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10388

So hopefully at the next update this will no longer be an issue.

Michael
Does MiniMyth 81 solve the problem?
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

m_theredhead
Contributor

Post by m_theredhead » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:37 pm

Hello,

The symptoms mentioned above continue:

Pressing 1-4 used to bring up a dialogue box requesting the PIN for the that level.

Now, it causes the highlighted video box to change to different folders or movies. Almost like it is searching for the nearest match to a movie beginning with a '1' or a '4' for example.

Have the patches added for parental control been removed and we are on stock code?

I am using 0.25-2 on Fedora on my desktop and it is not exhibiting this behavior.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:15 pm

What is the MythTV git hash that works on Fedora?

m_theredhead
Contributor

Post by m_theredhead » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:32 pm

Here is what I see in the startup. Hopefully this is what you are looking for:

mythfrontend version: fixes/0.25 [0.25.1-2.fc17 (c2c276d)] www.mythtv.org

I didn't see anything in the rpm changelog to the specific version other than 'lastest firxes version'.

The parental controls issue was fixed by in at least 0.25-1 and all releases from rpmfusion newer have not exhibited the issue.

Michael

m_theredhead
Contributor

Post by m_theredhead » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:51 pm

Ok, this issue continues to puzzle me.

I noticed that the mythfrontend in the bedroom doesn't exhibit this behavior, but the one in the living room does.

They both netboot from the same version and image (RAM). Both have the same USB MCE receivers. To rule out any mythtv settings, I copied them from one frontend to the other using:

DELETE FROM mythconverg.settings WHERE hostname = 'mythliv';
INSERT INTO mythconverg.settings SELECT value,data,'mythliv' FROM mythconverg.settings WHERE hostname = 'mythbed';

Using irw, I can see that the number '4' is getting pressed correctly.

204 0 KEY_NUMERIC_4 devinput
204 0 KEY_NUMERIC_4:UP devinput

I based on the results of my desktop and the bedroom system, the overall Myth bug with parental controls is resolved, but something is different about this one frontend.

So I am totally stumped as to why the behavior of the two frontends is not identical.

Any suggestions?

m_theredhead
Contributor

Post by m_theredhead » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:51 pm

Ok, this issue continues to puzzle me.

I noticed that the mythfrontend in the bedroom doesn't exhibit this behavior, but the one in the living room does.

They both netboot from the same version and image (RAM). Both have the same USB MCE receivers. To rule out any mythtv settings, I copied them from one frontend to the other using:

DELETE FROM mythconverg.settings WHERE hostname = 'mythliv';
INSERT INTO mythconverg.settings SELECT value,data,'mythliv' FROM mythconverg.settings WHERE hostname = 'mythbed';

Using irw, I can see that the number '4' is getting pressed correctly.

204 0 KEY_NUMERIC_4 devinput
204 0 KEY_NUMERIC_4:UP devinput

I based on the results of my desktop and the bedroom system, the overall Myth bug with parental controls is resolved, but something is different about this one frontend.

So I am totally stumped as to why the behavior of the two frontends is not identical.

Any suggestions?

Synergy
Contributor

Post by Synergy » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:07 pm

You aren't alone. I've got it on ALL of my frontends.

I'm seeing exactly the same as you, with the same type of setup (I've got one Ion in the bedroom, 2 Athlons w/ Nvidia cards elsewhere). All run the same RAM image loaded via pxe.

To further complicate the issue, when I moved to .25, I setup a new myth VM, brand new DB.

I've gotten frustrated enough with the issue that I've removed some media and just turned off parental controls. Not a good solution.

m_theredhead
Contributor

Post by m_theredhead » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:57 am

Thanks for the response. Do you have any non-minimyth frontends where you could test? I am curious to see if this is a minimyth issue or a larger mythtv issue.

I took the discussion to the mythtv mailing list as well.

One thing I have noticed is that when pressing numbers on my remote, instead of changing levels, it is moving through the files in MythVideo the percentage of the key press. 0 takes you to the start, 5 takes you half way through the list, and 9 takes you to about 90% through the files.

Michael

Synergy
Contributor

Post by Synergy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:18 am

m_theredhead wrote:Thanks for the response. Do you have any non-minimyth frontends where you could test? I am curious to see if this is a minimyth issue or a larger mythtv issue.

I took the discussion to the mythtv mailing list as well.

One thing I have noticed is that when pressing numbers on my remote, instead of changing levels, it is moving through the files in MythVideo the percentage of the key press. 0 takes you to the start, 5 takes you half way through the list, and 9 takes you to about 90% through the files.

Michael
It's something in Minimyth. I just fired up the Mac OSX build, and parental changes worked just fine there.

My experience mirrors yours in the pressing of the numbers. I didn't figure it out, but yeah, it does look like that's what's happening.

Greg

m_theredhead
Contributor

Post by m_theredhead » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:18 pm

I just upgraded to 0.26.0-82 and the problem persists.

In order to determine this was strictly a minimyth issue, I loaded Fedora 17+rpmfusion onto the same box. With this configuration, parental controls works fine.

Pablo, are there any patches being applied to mythvideo that maybe shouldn't be there any more?