Is this the end of MM?

Help with using MiniMyth (except Booting)

Moderator: Pablo

lofty69
Contributor

Is this the end of MM?

Post by lofty69 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:30 pm

Seems that minimyth may becoming EOL due to lack of support which is a shame, but if Pablo needs a break from it then I'd like to thank him for all his support in the past.

If minimyth does not get additional support what is everyone looking at for the future?

Guierrmo

Re: Is this the end of MM?

Post by Guierrmo » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:37 pm

It certainly doesn't look good. I have a rock solid .25 install running, but with the upcoming changes for airplay, I will probably want to upgrade. I'll have to take a look at mythbuntu network booting, it uses an NFS root, which I'm not really happy with using since, I have been using RAM images with minimyth, since for ever.

I do thank Pablo and LMatter for the long term support that have provided.

Thanks again.

thekorn
Contributor

Post by thekorn » Fri May 31, 2013 9:16 pm

Man I hope not. I'm just getting around to upgrading to 0.25 from 0.24 and am having problems. d'oh.

m_theredhead
Contributor

Post by m_theredhead » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:48 pm

The lack of posts by Pablo are not giving me much hope.

The question is where do we go from here? I am not aware of any other ready to go netboot'able distributions for mythtv.

Minimyth allowed my frontends to be appliances. I am not excited about having to maintain an OS for each frontend.

What are others doing?

thekorn
Contributor

Post by thekorn » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:23 pm

My fallback position is to convert over to netbooting mythbuntu, but after the clean running of minimyth that option seems really really ugly. However it seems like the only real viable option at this point, or at least the only one I can dig out of google.

I'm hoping that pablo puts out a 0.27 with the next ubuntu LTS release in october. That'd get me a few years down the road, and at that point I'd probably have to rebuild everything again anyway! :D

lofty69
Contributor

Post by lofty69 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:27 pm

are you running .26 atm? I'm on .25 and holding back upgrading to .26 as I wasn;t sure how stable .26 minimyth is. If it's ok I may upgrade one last time before even thinking about mythbuntu.

kjeacle

Post by kjeacle » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:59 am

I have been running Minimyth 0.26 for some time now and it has been working without any problems. I recently upgraded my Mythbuntu backends to 13.04 and all is well.

thekorn
Contributor

Post by thekorn » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:42 am

lofty69 wrote:are you running .26 atm? I'm on .25 and holding back upgrading to .26 as I wasn;t sure how stable .26 minimyth is. If it's ok I may upgrade one last time before even thinking about mythbuntu.
Personally I'm taking a breather from upgrading and making a pit stop on 0.25. Eventually I'll go up to 0.26, but I just upgraded everything but the actual data ((upgraded hard drive arrays, changed distribution, new file system) x2). So I'm taking a month or two to smell the roses before knocking over the next chain of dominoes!

Oh, and also added a zoneminder setup which is its own ball of fun. (Actually it's not bad, it's just very non-intuitive if you have the mythtv mindset.)

cheesy

Post by cheesy » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:57 pm

FWIW, the 0.26 builds have mostly been fine for me. There's a problem with the metadata on most of the recent builds (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3387) and 0.83b1 introduced a new problem with airplay (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3406) but now that I've worked around those, I'm pretty happy.

Having said all that, 0.26 doesn't appear to be a terribly interesting release of MythTV so I don't know if it's worth rushing into it.

I'm much more interested in the fact that MiniMyth does seem to be somewhat dead...

lofty69
Contributor

Post by lofty69 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:08 pm

Cheers Cheesy,

I updated my backend to 0.26 without issue, but my minimyth clients are failing to boot and are getting a blank screen (I posted on the end of another thread in the booting section).

I have now moved my main client over to a raspberry pi and xbmc.. very impressive I have to say.

lofty69
Contributor

Post by lofty69 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:10 pm

cheesy wrote:Having said all that, 0.26 doesn't appear to be a terribly interesting release of MythTV so I don't know if it's worth rushing into it.
You're not wrong there! lol