Trying to build Minimyth with nvidia-96.xx.xx

Help with using MiniMyth's build system

Moderator: Pablo

user1205

Trying to build Minimyth with nvidia-96.xx.xx

Post by user1205 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:38 pm

I've been trying to build Minimyth with Nvidia Legacy (96...) drivers and MythTV version 0.23 because I have GeForce 2 MX as graphics card in my MythTV Frontend box. It failed and I don't exactly what went wrong but I might try again and post results. For now I have a few questions:

Is there anymore builds with Nvidia Legacy drivers at all? Anywhere?

Did I do something wrong when I used Minimyth.conf.mk like this?
http://pastebin.com/6Xb0kSY5

Some info: I used Ubuntu 10.10 x86_64 with Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 and 2 GB of ram on ext4 filesystem but don't know if this is interesting. Target machine is running 1 GHz VIA C3 with 320 MB of memory and it boots of 4 GB (too big, but that shouldn't harm) CF-card. I also tried with another machine that is virtually allways power on, just because I don't want to keep my laptop running all night long. It has Ubuntu 10.04 LTS i686, AMD Sempron 2 GHz and 512 MB of mem and it's using ext3 as FS. In both cases all prerequisites should be fine. Gar files I took from here: http://www.minimyth.org/download/stable/latest-0.23/ a few days ago.

jamesarbrown
Contributor

Re: Trying to build Minimyth with nvidia-96.xx.xx

Post by jamesarbrown » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:18 pm

Hi,

I am reading correctly from here
http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L ... dix-a.html

This should support your card, which you have done

Code: Select all

# Valid values are '96.43.19' (legacy), '173.14.28' (legacy), '260.19.29'.
mm_NVIDIA_VERSION         ?= 96.43.19
As you have that, maybe xorg is not working. Do you have an old xorg.conf file? You could load this into minimyth on boot, Failing that xorg these days can think itself too clever and does not normally need an xorg.conf...... but not always.

Maybe below can help you create a xorg, telnet to your frontend and see what you can do.

Last option.... a cheap card $35? Is it worth the hastle trying to make it work?

Hope this helps.

James

From NV SIte
Linux Display Driver - x86

Version: 96.43.19 Certified
Release Date: 2010.11.16
Operating System: Linux
Language: English (U.S.)
File Size: 15.7 MB

Additional information

* Added support for X.Org xserver 1.9.
* Added support for X.Org xserver 1.8.
* Updated nvidia-installer to detect the nouveau kernel module and fail with an appropriate error message.

Note to SuSE users: please read the SuSE NVIDIA Installer HOWTO before downloading the driver.

Installation instructions: Once you have downloaded the driver, type " sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.19.pkg1.run" to install the driver. NVIDIA now provides a utility to assist you with configuration of your X server configuration file. See the README or run 'man nvidia-xconfig' for details on usage and instructions for those wishing to edit their X config file by hand.

If you have any questions or problems, please check the NVIDIA Linux Discussion forum. If you do not find an answer to your question there, you can send email (in English) to linux-bugs@nvidia.com .

When emailing linux-bugs@nvidia.com, please attach an nvidia-bug-report.log, which is generated by running "nvidia-bug-report.sh".

user1205

Post by user1205 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:05 pm

jamesarbrown wrote:Last option.... a cheap card $35? Is it worth the hastle trying to make it work?
Well, my whole Mythtvfrontendboxthingproject is all about those things. Cheap and work to make it cheap. ;) I don't think there is much sense to pair VIA C3 1GHz with something like GeForce 8400 AGP.

Edit: Checked prices and the cheapest one was about 50€ so it's too much for sure. (I didn't find 8400, it was 6200) No I'm not going to spent that much to my mythfrontendbox. Probably not even 20€.
jamesarbrown wrote: As you have that, maybe xorg is not working.
I tried to build Minimyth with Nvidia Legacy drivers and that is option for building system and building failed (some error, which I might check later). I didn't try to boot Minimyth with Nvidia Legacy drivers because there is none avalable (AFAIK).

Or does 'offical build' have those drivers? If they do, I must figure out how to get it working 'cause currently it fails to mount root filesystem. Don't exactly why. I have had minimyth-72-0.21 with nvidia 96.xx.xx drivers working, but 75-0.23 has some trouble.

Can you just install Nvidia Legacy drivers to Minimyth RAM? I thought it isn't that easy.

I know enough to SSH to minimyth install and write a Xorg.conf, but I thought Minimyth wants it Minimyth's own way.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:03 am

My understanding is that the proprietary NVIDIA driver does not support support XvMC on the GeForce2 MX. If this is the case, then the 1GHz VIA C3 will be required to perform all the MPEG2 decoding. I am not sure that it has enough horsepower to do so, even for SD resolutions.

I am not sure that MiniMyth can run with 320GB of RAM. By default MiniMyth runs from a RAM based root file system and has no cache partition. It might work if you use a very lightweight MythTV theme and do not load and MythTV plugins. If this is not enough, then you might be able to get it to work by running the MiniMyth root file system from Flash and not load it into RAM. However, this takes some work as it is not a standard MiniMyth operating mode. Alternatively, you might get it to work by creating a cache partition on a NFS network share.

Anyway, you could 0.23.1-76b2 a try with MM_X_DRIVER='nouveau' in your minimyth.conf file. The Open Source nouveau driver has been really coming along. In fact, on my Asus M3N78-VM, I have been using the Open Source nouveau driver rather than the proprietary NVIDIA driver. I had never needed XvMC on this frontend as the CPU is fast enough to decode MPEG2 SDTV and HDTV in software.

In case that does not work, I have uploaded 0.23.1-76b2-nvidia.96.x.x as well so that you can test with that.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

jamesarbrown
Contributor

Post by jamesarbrown » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:52 am

Sorry user1205... i meant is it worth just buying a newer cheap card to replace the old, that is more mainstream supported?

Pablos right, if it does not support xvmc your in a corner..... my C3 fanless (same as yours but yours has fan? so mine is a bit slower), but mine can no where near run video without xvmc running. So I am really doubtful the 1ghz will even pull it off.

Mine just sits there CPU Util at 100% on 720p, stuttering audio, stuttering video, once xvmc is up, processor runs <10%.

So if you want to use that MB maybe you need a new display card with hardware video offloading eg vdpau maybe?

James

user1205

Post by user1205 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:04 pm

Well, you are probably right that GF 2 MX can't do XvMC and VIA C3 1 GHz (yes it has heatsink and fan, but that's from a very slow Celeron I replaced) don't have power to decode MPEG2.

Memory is easy to get and upgrade if needed. When I built my mythtvfrontendbox I didn't have more and it seemed to work with minimyth 72.

If I must buy a new graphics card, which one would work with my mobo and case (AGP, lowprofile) and could do XvMC (MPEG2 decoding) and interlacing (for RGB Scart output). I'm trying to find a used one (for now at least). Would something from GF 5xxx series work fine?
Pablo wrote:I am not sure that MiniMyth can run with 320GB of RAM.
Limit of Linux (if you really ment 320 GB)? ;)
Pablo wrote: In case that does not work, I have uploaded 0.23.1-76b2-nvidia.96.x.x as well so that you can test with that.
Thanks. I'll try both ways (noveau and nvidia-96).

jamesarbrown
Contributor

Post by jamesarbrown » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:10 pm

Hi,

Darn... no AGP with VDPAU

So yes its XvMC and mpeg2 only for you

From http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XvMC#NVIDIA_Chipsets
Any recent version of the driver is acceptable. See the Nvidia page for more details. Be careful though: some nVidia cards do not support XvMC: the only cards that support XvMC are those that support nVidia "PureVideo", which is not the case for most motherboard GPUs such as the GeForce 7 series. Geforce 8 and later do not support XvMC. This is a hardware and driver limitation. Use VDPAU instead. The latest NVidia driver packages support XvMC on hardware which supports XvMC instead of VDPAU.

"The 173.14.09 release includes support for the XVideo Motion Compensation (XvMC) version 1.0 API on GeForce 5 series, GeForce 6 series and GeForce 7 series addin cards, as well as motherboard chipsets with integrated graphics that have PureVideo support." [1]
James

user1205

Post by user1205 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:18 pm

jamesarbrown wrote: So yes its XvMC and mpeg2 only for you
That's all I need.

If I understood correctly any 5000-7000 card is fine. Which means I could buy a GeForce 5200 (128 Mt, Low-profile, AGP) for about 18€ with shipping costs. Can it do interlacing and low-dot frequency (14,76 MHz) on VGA? I have RGB SCART on my mind: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/RGB_Scart

jamesarbrown
Contributor

Post by jamesarbrown » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:38 pm

Sorry User1205, RGB is not something I have tried. Mine is composite.

I can see RGB scart couplers here :-

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcab ... op=eq.html

And more detail on RGB here
http://www.epanorama.net/faq/vga2rgb/scart.html

Hope it helps.

user1205

Post by user1205 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:05 pm

I know how to build a cable to get Scart compatible RGB from VGA-connector (I've built one) but it didn't work correctly on Nvidia GeForce 2 MX because drivers (96.xx.xx) didn't support interlacing and I couldn't use it then. S-Video has terrible video quality compared to RGB (our DVB-T-box and Wii use it). I hoped newer Nvidia would work.

jamesarbrown
Contributor

Post by jamesarbrown » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:03 pm

Yes a nightmare.. and in mythtv 0.25 xvmc and libmpeg2 will be dropped totally.

So it looks like VDPAU is way forward... so a lot of us will be needing totally new hardware.

JB

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:08 am

jamesarbrown wrote:Yes a nightmare.. and in mythtv 0.25 xvmc and libmpeg2 will be dropped totally.

So it looks like VDPAU is way forward... so a lot of us will be needing totally new hardware.

JB
I replaced my VIA hardware with Intel Atom + NVIDIA ION hardware some time ago and it works well with VDPAU as long as I use the proprietary NVIDIA drivers. In the future, I would love to use Intel hardware for both CPU and GPU because Intel is making an effort to support Open Source. However, the VA-API support is not there yet.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

user1205

Post by user1205 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:19 pm

How about Matrox (G200/G400/G450/G550) card and DIrectFB? Could I use that kind of setup?

BTW: This is quite offtopic. Maybe moderator/admin (Pablo?) could do something about it?