switching from 2.6.33.7 to 2.6.37

Help with using MiniMyth's build system

Moderator: Pablo

Post Reply
warpme
Contributor
Posts: 438
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:17 pm

switching from 2.6.33.7 to 2.6.37

Post by warpme » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:02 pm

Pablo,
FYI

I switched from 2.6.33.7 to 2.6.37. I encounter following issues:

1. Powr-on by MCE in sleep state.
For some reason "echo USB0 > /proc/acpi/wakeup" is not enough in 2.6.37 kernel.
I have also add "enabled" to <device_path>/power/wakeup. Below hack code works for me.

Code: Select all

            #Hack for kernel 2.6.34+
            usbpath=$(grep 0815 /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/idProduct | cut -c-24)
            echo enabled > $usbpath/power/wakeup
            /usr/bin/logger -t minimyth -p "local0.info" "[rc.d/lirc] HACK: Enabling wakeup for $usbpath"
2. in-tree alsa hasn't working nvidia hdmi (HDMI device isn't recognized at all as is not even listed via aplay -L)
I switch to out-of-tree alsa snapshot
http://www.alsa-project.org/snapshot/fi ... 13.tar.bz2
and audio via HDMI on ION starts to work again.

br

Pablo
Site Admin
Posts: 4182
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:13 am
Location: La Jolla
Contact:

Re: switching from 2.6.33.7 to 2.6.37

Post by Pablo » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:17 pm

warpme wrote:Pablo,
FYI

I switched from 2.6.33.7 to 2.6.37. I encounter following issues:

1. Powr-on by MCE in sleep state.
For some reason "echo USB0 > /proc/acpi/wakeup" is not enough in 2.6.37 kernel.
I have also add "enabled" to <device_path>/power/wakeup. Below hack code works for me.

Code: Select all

            #Hack for kernel 2.6.34+
            usbpath=$(grep 0815 /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/idProduct | cut -c-24)
            echo enabled > $usbpath/power/wakeup
            /usr/bin/logger -t minimyth -p "local0.info" "[rc.d/lirc] HACK: Enabling wakeup for $usbpath"
What you have is only partially a hack. Its only shortcoming appears to be that the it doesn't explicitly enable wake-up on any hardware that the USB device is plugged into (e.g. the USB host controller and PCI bus). Of course, that may no longer needed with 2.6.37, as I have not tested whether or not it is needed for a few kernel release. Anyway is the script that I call from the udev script to enable wake-on-USB when a USB remote control receiver is detected:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
################################################################################
# wakeup_enable
################################################################################

devpath=`readlink -f "/sys/${DEVPATH}"`
while echo "${devpath}" | /bin/grep -q '^/sys/devices/' > /dev/null 2>&1 ; do
    if test -e "${devpath}/power/wakeup" ; then
        state=`cat "${devpath}/power/wakeup"`
        if test "x${state}" = "xdisabled" ; then
            echo "enabled" > "${devpath}/power/wakeup"
        fi
    fi
    devpath=`dirname "${devpath}"`
done

exit 0
2. in-tree alsa hasn't working nvidia hdmi (HDMI device isn't recognized at all as is not even listed via aplay -L)
I switch to out-of-tree alsa snapshot
http://www.alsa-project.org/snapshot/fi ... 13.tar.bz2
and audio via HDMI on ION starts to work again.
What ION hardware do you have? I have a Acer ApireRevo 3610 and HDMI is working.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

warpme
Contributor
Posts: 438
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:17 pm

Re: switching from 2.6.33.7 to 2.6.37

Post by warpme » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Pablo wrote: What you have is only partially a hack. Its only shortcoming appears to be that the it doesn't explicitly enable wake-up on any hardware that the USB device is plugged into (e.g. the USB host controller and PCI bus). Of course, that may no longer needed with 2.6.37, as I have not tested whether or not it is needed for a few kernel release. Anyway is the script that I call from the udev script to enable wake-on-USB when a USB remote control receiver is detected:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
################################################################################
# wakeup_enable
################################################################################

devpath=`readlink -f "/sys/${DEVPATH}"`
while echo "${devpath}" | /bin/grep -q '^/sys/devices/' > /dev/null 2>&1 ; do
    if test -e "${devpath}/power/wakeup" ; then
        state=`cat "${devpath}/power/wakeup"`
        if test "x${state}" = "xdisabled" ; then
            echo "enabled" > "${devpath}/power/wakeup"
        fi
    fi
    devpath=`dirname "${devpath}"`
done

exit 0
Right. I overlook this code when backporting latest mm to my GAR. I ported this code. Works perfect.
Indeed kernel guys confirmed process of moving away from /proc/acpi/wakeup
Here is comment from R.Wysocki:
We're moving away from /proc/acpi/wakeup and it's going the be removed at
one point, so please use the sysfs interface. Also, it generally is
required to explicitly enable USB wakeup, because there are many devices
that don't work correctly in that respect and we simply can't enable it
by default for every device.
What ION hardware do you have? I have a Acer ApireRevo 3610 and HDMI is working.
I standardized over AsRock 330Pro (it is based on ION1+ALC890(Asrock version of 889)
Finally I was able to get working HDMI on 32 & 64 bit systems with 2.6.37 kernel:
alsa-driver-1.0.23.113.gba866.1408.g9f9223 is the first version of ALSA working OK for me for all cases.

br

Pablo
Site Admin
Posts: 4182
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:13 am
Location: La Jolla
Contact:

Re: switching from 2.6.33.7 to 2.6.37

Post by Pablo » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:41 pm

warpme wrote:Right. I overlook this code when backporting latest mm to my GAR. I ported this code. Works perfect.
Indeed kernel guys confirmed process of moving away from /proc/acpi/wakeup
Here is comment from R.Wysocki:
We're moving away from /proc/acpi/wakeup and it's going the be removed at
one point, so please use the sysfs interface. Also, it generally is
required to explicitly enable USB wakeup, because there are many devices
that don't work correctly in that respect and we simply can't enable it
by default for every device.
I am glad that it is working. I have moved MiniMyth away from any reliance on /proc/acpi as the whole directory as my understanding is that the directory will be gone soon.
I standardized over AsRock 330Pro (it is based on ION1+ALC890(Asrock version of 889)
Finally I was able to get working HDMI on 32 & 64 bit systems with 2.6.37 kernel:
alsa-driver-1.0.23.113.gba866.1408.g9f9223 is the first version of ALSA working OK for me for all cases.
Does it work with the these 1.0.24 test ALSA drivers: ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/testing/? The reason I ask is that I am using these drivers (and the corresponding libraries and utilities) in MiniMyth now.

Does it work with the 2.6.36.3 kernel? The reason I ask is 2.6.36.3 rather than 2.6.37 is the default kernel in MiniMyth as the bluetooth in the 2.6.37 kernel appears to break both bdremoteng and wminput.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

warpme
Contributor
Posts: 438
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:17 pm

Re: switching from 2.6.33.7 to 2.6.37

Post by warpme » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:31 pm

Pablo wrote: Does it work with the these 1.0.24 test ALSA drivers: ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/testing/? The reason I ask is that I am using these drivers (and the corresponding libraries and utilities) in MiniMyth now.
Yes. So far I tested 64bit with HDMI & SPDIF. Works OK.
Pablo wrote:Does it work with the 2.6.36.3 kernel? The reason I ask is 2.6.36.3 rather than 2.6.37 is the default kernel in MiniMyth as the bluetooth in the 2.6.37 kernel appears to break both bdremoteng and wminput.
Unfortunately I standardized over 2.6.37 so can't say about 2.6.26.x - but I'm sure 1.0.24 will work OK also with 2.6.36.x

Thanx for Your incredible maintenance !

br

Pablo
Site Admin
Posts: 4182
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:13 am
Location: La Jolla
Contact:

Re: switching from 2.6.33.7 to 2.6.37

Post by Pablo » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:09 pm

warpme wrote:
Pablo wrote: Does it work with the these 1.0.24 test ALSA drivers: ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/testing/? The reason I ask is that I am using these drivers (and the corresponding libraries and utilities) in MiniMyth now.
Yes. So far I tested 64bit with HDMI & SPDIF. Works OK.
Thank you for letting me know.
Pablo wrote:Does it work with the 2.6.36.3 kernel? The reason I ask is 2.6.36.3 rather than 2.6.37 is the default kernel in MiniMyth as the bluetooth in the 2.6.37 kernel appears to break both bdremoteng and wminput.
Unfortunately I standardized over 2.6.37 so can't say about 2.6.26.x - but I'm sure 1.0.24 will work OK also with 2.6.36.x
I want to move MiniMyth to 2.6.37 as well. 2.6.37 has drm updates that help the intel, nouveau and radeon video drivers. Therefore, if I cannot easily determine the exact cause of the incompatibility, then I will likely replace the 2.6.37 bluetooth stack with the 2.6.36 bluetooth stack.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

Post Reply