choosing mm_MYTH_VERSION

Help with using MiniMyth's build system

Moderator: Pablo

m_kane
Contributor

choosing mm_MYTH_VERSION

Post by m_kane » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:33 am

I'm so unfamiliar with git, that I have no clue how to choose right version with my backend.

- I use fixes/0.24 (v0.24-105-g46a0dda) in my backend (taken from backend's frontend-information center-system status)

- How can I build minimyth with exactly same version? What should I put to minimyth.conf.mk ?
- I am confused between mm_MYTH_VERSION 0.24 / master and mm_MYTHTV_MASTER_VERSION variables.. if choose 0.24, does it care about mm_MYTHTV_MASTER_VERSION at all? How to choose 0.24 fixes version?

- The reason is, that this version has working pip, and guide video, and also automatic scanning for videos.. what my recent minimyth's myth version has not.

jamesarbrown
Contributor

Re: choosing mm_MYTH_VERSION

Post by jamesarbrown » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:43 pm

Hi,

In scripts/mythtv-0.24/mythtv/package-api-mk it suggests its using 0.24-20110124-61c78f5-1c84b13 (master-<date>-<mythtv-git-commit>-<myththemes-git-commit>)

But you can build a git version by editing minimyth.conf.mk... but be warned about the patches message.

Code: Select all

# MythTV master version built. If the version changes too much then the patches
# may no longer work. The version string format is:
# master-<date>-<mythtv-git-commit>-<myththemes-git-commit>, where <date> has  
# the format YYYYMMDD.
mm_MYTHTV_MASTER_VERSION  ?= master-20110124-b4f1039-45d6b63
Which is the version to be built. If you also set

# The version of Myth to use.
# Valid values are '0.22', '0.23', '0.24' and 'master'.
mm_MYTH_VERSION           ?= master
Sometimes though, you may aswell wait. 0.24 backends and frontends should all work together irrespective of minor releases and you may cause yourself more heartache than not having pip.

James

m_kane
Contributor

Post by m_kane » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:21 pm

Thanks James.

Sorry I'm asking stupid questions, but I am not sure what is master? Is it same as trunk in svn? So it is code what will be 0.25 in the future?

If so, how can I select exact version from 0.24 fixes? Am I doing right if I edit minimyth.conf.mk as follows:

mm_MYTH_VERSION           ?= 0.24
mm_MYTHTV_MASTER_VERSION  ?= 0.24-20110114-g46a0dda-1c84b13
Or should I edit package-api-mk instead?

- Kane

jamesarbrown
Contributor

Post by jamesarbrown » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:33 pm

Hi,

I would add that I have never tried, so maybe Pablo can confirm, but it appears :-

If you set

mm_MYTH_VERSION           ?= master
Then it will use the svn (now git) based on

mm_MYTHTV_MASTER_VERSION  ?= master-20110124-b4f1039-45d6b63
Where as if you set

mm_MYTH_VERSION ?= 0.24
it will use currently 0.24-20110124-61c78f5-1c84b13 or what ever is chosen by Pablo for that current build (found in the package file)

Ie it always used the "svn", just different indexes of the svn.... svn/git does not always have to be the latest version :wink:

Hopefully using Pablos notes of "master-<date>-<mythtv-git-commit>-<myththemes-git-commit>" you can create a line based on the git version you need.

James

GIves a heads up to the link you need
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commits/master?page=5
This is master branch and b4f1039 is the first chars of the commit sum.
So now somehow you need to hunt the version you want
You then need to repeat for the theme.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:55 am

Yes. That is correct.

I am not very happy how I am identifying the MythTV Git version. However, it is the only reliable method that I have been able to come up with. The version number has 4 parts: <branch>, <date>, <mythtv-git-commit> and <myththemes-git-commit>. The <branch> and <date> parts are there to make it easier for humans to determine what source is being used but they are ignored by the build system. The build system just uses the Git commit hashes. This works because the hashes are unique across mythtv branches.

As for PiP problem, I believe that I have tracked down the offending commit. Once I verify the reverting it does fix the PiP problem for me without breaking anything else that I can find, I will upload a new version and let the mythtv development community know (it is being tracked by ticket 9543).
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

m_kane
Contributor

Post by m_kane » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:55 am

Thanks for information.

I must to to learn a little how git system works. Somehow svn was a lot easier to understand..

-Kane