custom kernel

Help with using MiniMyth's build system

Moderator: Pablo

jeroen

custom kernel

Post by jeroen » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:20 pm

Hi,

Is it possible to build the kernel without GAR ? I'm comfortable building and configuring kernels.
I want to add the JME driver for my Shuttle xs35gtv2 and have problems building with GAR on Ubuntu 11.10

The error I get with GAR :

==> Running make in work/build_build.d/gcc-4.5.3_build
//usr/include/features.h:323:26: fatal error: bits/predefs.h: No such file or directory

Jeroen

Pablo
Site Admin

Re: custom kernel

Post by Pablo » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:00 pm

I cannot think of an easy way to build the MiniMyth kernel outside of the GAR build system.

However, I have added the JME Ethernet driver. I have committed it to SVN and it will be in the next build.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

jeroen

Post by jeroen » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:58 am

That's great ! I think the fanless Shuttle XS35 is a good candidate for minimyth.

In the meanwhile I was trying to build minimyth, until now I failed on Ubuntu 10.11 (32 bit) and Centos 5.6 (32bit) with various compile problems, I expect due to 32bit host.
Before posting my findings I would like to try the distribution you are using for the builds first. Which distro do you use ?

Jeroen

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:16 pm

jeroen wrote:That's great ! I think the fanless Shuttle XS35 is a good candidate for minimyth.

In the meanwhile I was trying to build minimyth, until now I failed on Ubuntu 10.11 (32 bit) and Centos 5.6 (32bit) with various compile problems, I expect due to 32bit host.
Before posting my findings I would like to try the distribution you are using for the builds first. Which distro do you use ?

Jeroen
I am building on CentOS 5.7 (64-bit).
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

jeroen

Post by jeroen » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:23 am

I managed to build the svn-8620 in a virtual machine running Centos 6.0 x86_64.
The Shuttle xs35gtv2 is working fine now with the JME driver included, thanks !

If someone is interested in setting up the VM or in the build; send me a message.

Jeroen

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:52 am

I am glad you were able to get it working.

Did you use VirtualBox or some other virtual machine?

The reason I ask is that I have been contemplating using other distributions installed in virtual machines to track down MiniMyth build problems. However, the only thing that I have ever bothered to do with virtual machines is run Windows on Linux using VirtualBox.

jeroen

Post by jeroen » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:19 pm

I used qemu/kvm and used a CentOS vmware image from thoughtpolice.
I like the -nographic feature of qemu, and run console on virtual serial port. This way I don't need X to run the vm.
You need to resize the disk image from thoughtpolice to fit the minimyth build.
I used a raw disk-image and turned caching off to speed disk access. Started qemu with :

kvm -drive file=centos.raw,cache=unsafe,index=0,media=disk -nographic -net nic -net user -cpu host -m 1024

I needed to install the following packages on the thoughpolice image (possible incomplete):
subversion make bison cvs file flex gcc git hg patch makeinfo texinfo wget

Jeroen

appypaddy

Post by appypaddy » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:14 am

i installed kernel check and when i click on get kernel information i get an error:
kernel.org server couldnt fulfill request error 404. Then it closes. Any ideas? Thanks

------------
Reputation Management|Reputation Management Services|Remove RipOff Reports