Build system newbie !

Help with using MiniMyth's build system

Moderator: Pablo

mattj

Build system newbie !

Post by mattj » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:16 am

In trying to sort out some of my openchrome issues, I've started playing around with the build system but not sure i'm going about this the right way. In order to get openchrome to pull a specific git revision instead of the release, I've modified minimyth-read-only/gar-minimyth/script/xorg-7.6/xf86-video-openchrome/Makefile :

GARVERSION_TYPE = git
GARVERSION = $(strip $(if $(filter git,$(GARVERSION_TYPE)) , \
0db1c3c, \
0.3.1 ))
CATEGORIES = $(CATEGORY)
MASTER_SITES = $(strip $(if $(filter git,$(GARVERSION_TYPE)) , \
git://anongit.freedesktop.org/openchrome/xf86-video-openchrome/ , \
$(XORG_MASTER_SITES) ))

then after I've initially pulled down and tarballed that git revision, I add the checksum into the checksums file. This all works and builds correctly, but is this the right way to do this ? I'm also not quite sure what's happening to the 0.3.1 string in the GARVERSION variable, or if that's what should be there - I can't quite follow exactly how those are being passed to the FETCH_GIT function.

Can you also explain what the difference is between MM_DISTRIBUTION_LOCAL and MM_DISTRIBUTION_SHARE ?

Thanks

Matt

Pablo
Site Admin

Re: Build system newbie !

Post by Pablo » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:55 pm

mattj wrote:In trying to sort out some of my openchrome issues, I've started playing around with the build system but not sure i'm going about this the right way. In order to get openchrome to pull a specific git revision instead of the release, I've modified minimyth-read-only/gar-minimyth/script/xorg-7.6/xf86-video-openchrome/Makefile :

GARVERSION_TYPE = git
GARVERSION = $(strip $(if $(filter git,$(GARVERSION_TYPE)) , \
0db1c3c, \
0.3.1 ))
CATEGORIES = $(CATEGORY)
MASTER_SITES = $(strip $(if $(filter git,$(GARVERSION_TYPE)) , \
git://anongit.freedesktop.org/openchrome/xf86-video-openchrome/ , \
$(XORG_MASTER_SITES) ))

then after I've initially pulled down and tarballed that git revision, I add the checksum into the checksums file. This all works and builds correctly, but is this the right way to do this ? I'm also not quite sure what's happening to the 0.3.1 string in the GARVERSION variable, or if that's what should be there - I can't quite follow exactly how those are being passed to the FETCH_GIT function.
What you have for GARVERSION and MASTER_SITES looks good. When I am pulling the source from version control, I override the checksum rather than adding it to checkums file.I do this using by adding

Code: Select all

checksum-$(DISTNAME).tar.bz2:
        @$(MAKECOOKIE)
to the package Makefile. I do this because, pulling from some version control systems does not result in a tarball that has the same checksum with each pull. Both GARVERSION and MASTER_SITES are conditioned based on GARVERSION_TYPE. Either the GAVERVERSION and MASTER_SITES used are for the released version (in this case 0.3.1) or the git hash (in this case 0db1c3c). GARVERSION is used in FETCH_GIT (see gar-minimyth/script/minimyth.lib.mk) and DISTNAME (see gar-minimyth/script/gar.mk).

By the way, I have made changes to xf86-video-openchrome package Makefile to build the current Git version rather than the release version.[/quote]
Can you also explain what the difference is between MM_DISTRIBUTION_LOCAL and MM_DISTRIBUTION_SHARE ?
LOCAL contains the extras file system and share does not.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.