MythArchive

Ask for new features here.

Moderator: Pablo

jamesarbrown
Contributor

MythArchive

Post by jamesarbrown » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:48 pm

Hi Pablo,

Do you have any intentions of revisiting this.... with Mobos now pushing 1.6ghz fanless with VDPau, memory for the cheap and solid state HDDs, you could say its becoming cheaper, quieter and easier to just build a complete MythUbuntu or Mythdora system... but there is something that is just so neat and clinical with Minimyth and a simple way to config countless sub systems (xorg.conf and so on).

I just can't see the point of burdening any machine with pointless stuff such as Gnome when Minimyth exists and by BE is buried in the Attic to quieten it. Used to have it in the room and could hardly hear the TV!

It would be really good to see MythArchive here in Minimyth. Actually it would be better if MythArchive FE could offload to the backend and the FE pick up a completed ISO for burning later on, but I can't see that in a rush. Are the Python libs such a big chunk in hardware terms these days?

James

Pablo
Site Admin

Re: MythArchive

Post by Pablo » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:17 pm

I tend to revisit my prior decisions whenever circumstances change, which is why I have added Perl and Python.

The list of the [url=http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_M ... pendencies]MythArchive dependencies[url] is long. The referenced dependency list does not include Python and the Python libraries required by mythburn.py.

Now that I am able to cross-compile Python, the Python dependencies are not a significant problem (although their inclusion does increase the MiniMyth image size). However, MythArchive's dependency on Java still stops me from including it.

<rant>
It would be nice if MythTV plugin developers used the libraries already required by MythTV instead of introducing unnecessary dependencies. To a degree, I can understand the use of dynamic languages for web page scraping parsers as web pages change/appear/disappear quickly (although, updating C/C++ code is no more difficult than updating Perl/Python code, assuming you know C/C++). However, for plugins such as MythArchive, I can see no reason to require much of the additional bloat that is already required by MythTV through different APIs.
</rant>
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

jamesarbrown
Contributor

Re: MythArchive

Post by jamesarbrown » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:21 am

Hi Pablo,

Yes I think on reflection you are right.

I have recently reinstalled my server and found all the niggles with mythtranscode.... eg the old (2008) deadlock errors,,,, and for some reason always with BBC channels.

So here I am having to again install projectX which is Java dependant.

Darn it.

Mytharchive should have a major rewrite, so its on the backend and the FE can call its services.

I have not really thought about it, but shame you can't pick a recording in the media window, flag it for DVD, server monitors that, rips it to Mpeg2 and creates a defacto DVD ISO that the FE can pickup later and burn. After all all I want to do is rip a 60min programme a friend has missed so they can catch up.. sky box failed to proritise *laugh*

James