ext4

Ask for new features here.

Moderator: Pablo

bam
Contributor

ext4

Post by bam » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:23 am

Hi all, hi Pablo!
Pablo, have you considered ext4 support?

Pablo
Site Admin

Re: ext4

Post by Pablo » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:39 pm

To date, I had not considered adding ext4. This is most likely due to the fact that all my portable Linux drives are formatted either ext2 or ext3. Because I run CentOS 5 on my server, which does not support ext4. Therefore for compatibility reasons, I have not used ext4 on any portable drive.

However, if people are starting to use ext4, then I can add it. The only question is whether or not people plan to use it as a MiniMyth boot device or as a media storage device. As long as it is not being used as a MiniMyth boot device, then it can be compiled as a kernel module. How are you thinking of using it?
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

bam
Contributor

Post by bam » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:17 pm

I am thinking of using it as a boot device. If you choose to compile it as a kernel module, I would be able to use it anyway by including to initramfs, so it is not a problem for me.
However, from Wikipedia:
The ext4 filesystem is backward compatible with ext3 and ext2, making it possible to mount ext3 and ext2 filesystems as ext4. This will slightly improve performance,
So I think you could easily drop ext2 & ext3 modules from kernel in favor of ext4.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:30 am

Thank for the information. Your response made me read things more closely. Unlike an ext3 file system which can be mounted using the ext2 file system driver, an ext4 file system cannot be mounted using the ext3 file system driver. However, an ext2 or ext3 file system should be mountable using the ext4 file system driver. Therefore, the ext4 file driver should be all that is needed.

I will switch to compiling the kernel with just the ext4 driver. As long as no one has problems with it, I will not add back either the ext3 or ext2 driver.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

rrajagopal

Post by rrajagopal » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:24 pm

Sorry to add on to an older thread. ext4 mounting is working fine as long as it is done manually. Neither the url_mount command via mm_command nor /etc/rc.d/init/conf/MM_MEDIA.pm currently supports ext4 urls. I have modified the code slightly for my own use but would be grateful if this can be carried forward to the main distribution. Thanks.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:03 pm

rrajagopal wrote:Sorry to add on to an older thread. ext4 mounting is working fine as long as it is done manually. Neither the url_mount command via mm_command nor /etc/rc.d/init/conf/MM_MEDIA.pm currently supports ext4 urls. I have modified the code slightly for my own use but would be grateful if this can be carried forward to the main distribution. Thanks.
Thank you for taking the time to post this. This is clearly a bug. I have committed what I believe to be a fix (8435).

rrajagopal

Post by rrajagopal » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:54 pm

Thanks. I think /etc/rc.d/init/conf/MM_MEDIA.pm needs to be updated as well?

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:28 pm

Done (8437).