Full minimyth backend

Ask for new features here.

Moderator: Pablo

lofty69
Contributor

Full minimyth backend

Post by lofty69 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:53 pm

Come on Pablo... you know you want to ;)

rrajagopal

Re: Full minimyth backend

Post by rrajagopal » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:08 pm

I have done this already - relatively easy actually. Got mysql server running as well as a master backend. I have been building a packaging system - right now have mysql server, master backend, nfs server and software raid, and locale (for en_GB) already working. Currently working on php support (to allow mythweb). I can't get the e2fsprogs to run (see another post of mine). I have essentially been building a packaging system (.tar.bz2 files), with my goal to keep everything booting off a 128MB flash. It is still very much a hack, though. Would be wonderful if Pablo will have some sort of packaging system built into minimyth.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:23 am

lofty69 wrote:Come on Pablo... you know you want to ;)
To what end? Personally, I see no use for it.

I understand the use of having frontend functionality in MiniMyth. It can reduce noise next to the television (this was my original interest in MiniMyth). It makes testing new versions of somewhat hit-or-miss software (e.g. NVIDIA drivers and video decoders) upgrades easier because it makes rollbacks easier.

I understand the use of having (slave) backend functionality in MiniMyth. It opens up more PCI slots. It allows the firewire-enabled cable box to be next to the television.

However, I do not understand the use of having master backend functionality in MiniMyth. MythTV require storage for both the database and content. As such, I do not see reason not to run the master backend on the device with the storage (in my case it is my home server). With the possible exceptions of MythTV (and therefore Qt) and V4L versions, I have had no reason to upgrade my master backend system. I continue to run RHEL5.x (actually a community created compatible version) with ATrpms packages for the MythTV (and therefore Qt) and V4L updates. Because, this server is my DNS, DHCP, SMB/CIFS, build and content server, having as much software as possible staying at the same version is preferred.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

rrajagopal

Post by rrajagopal » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:31 pm

I do see your point Pablo. I was using mythbuntu and hated it - 2.5GB just to have a simple backend! Minimyth is fantastic - small, lean and mean! It has the potential to become a fantastic streamlined backend and server in addition to the front end capability. I am currently building a 3 machine system - 1 as master backend / RAID /NFS server, second as a slave backend and third (and possibly more) silent frontends. The "packaging" system in minimyth is almost there (extras.sfs). It would just be nice to have the capability of supporting add-on packages. Users then are free to contribute their Makefiles for others to use. Agreed that you then deviate from your original intentions with minimyth, but this allows it to evolve to something more... My machine 1 is now up and running very well. I now have php working as well, to try the next step - mythweb. If and when I get that running, I plan to have webmin. Still have a few things to iron out though - I cannot get any of the e2fsprogs to run (separate post).

lofty69
Contributor

Post by lofty69 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:10 pm

My ideal backend would be a "minimyth style" system where the only updates I have to worry about are updates to the minimyth backend system software (just like minimyth now). I hate having to update my fedora system in order that my myth packages don't become EOL for a particular release and I also hate having to install so much bloat to get a system up and running that is purely for myth.

Having a minimyth style backend that boots off an SSD or CF and can be updated quickly and easily is my vision of the perfect myth system.

I really should have put a :wink: on my first post as I really said this half in jest (I'd hate to think how much time you spend as it is with minimyth alone).

rrajagopal, sounds like what you're doing is very interesting, I like the idea of "plug-in app" type functionality.