Booting a diskless client, then shutting down the server?

More general comments, including Off Topic.

Moderator: Pablo

MasterC

Booting a diskless client, then shutting down the server?

Post by MasterC » Fri May 11, 2007 5:24 am

Hello!

I'm diving into the world of diskless clients and will be testing out MiniMyth as a better option than my custom setup I've been using (which is a PAIN to maintain...) later on tonight.

So, my basic question is:

If I boot from my main server (DHCP, TFTP, Mythbackend, NFS) with a diskless frontend, can I then shutdown the backend? More specifically, when I am done watching stuff on the diskless frontend, can I sleep the backend, halt the frontend and then return to the frontend at a later time, start it up and have it wake the backend (when it's looking for the TFTP info)?

I'm mainly concerned about sleeping the backend and what will happen to the diskless frontends. Will they just crash, or will there be enough info in RAM to keep them alive enough to wake the sleeping backend?

Hopefully that gives a well rounded idea of what my question is asking.

Thanks for any info!

-Chad

MasterC

Post by MasterC » Sat May 12, 2007 8:54 am

Just a quick follow up:

Nope.

In order to get to a point where I would launch MythTV to then wake the backend means I have to have some sort of local storage to be able to launch the file. I think by really being cool and making a full blown image load into RAM might work, but that hardly seems worth it (or cost effective!).

But, the whole test got me thinking. I'm probably going to be rearranging my hardware before I go full blown diskless frontends. I'll be chatting here shortly after I finish my rearranging. :)

-Chad

MasterC

Post by MasterC » Sat May 12, 2007 9:49 am

I guess more for my sake I'm posting what I decided to do :) Hopefully, it helps someone who later has a similar idea.

So I grabbed a fairly cheap mini ITX board with dual gigabit LAN and SATA connectors. I'm going to use that as my main Firewall/DHCP/TFTP/NFS/SAMBA/Mythbackend/LinuxMCE system that my incoming connection will hook up to. Then from the other port I'll connect into my main switch that will connect the rest of the house.

I'll be putting a PVR-500 in the lone PCI slot and hooking an HDHomeRun into the network and configuring it for that same backend. I'll load up the SATA ports with 500GB drives to maximize storage space on the tiny (relatively low power sucking) system. Then I'll set up my current master backend to be a slave and have it only wake when necessary (which will hopefully be very little as I don't have a lot of situations where more than 2 HD and 2 SD recordings are all happening at once). All frontends will sleep until woken on either physical ethernet activity via WOL or until woken up via a USB signal sent in from a remote control.

Feel free to shoot some holes in that plan. I've got the board on it's way, the drives will have to be ordered, the rest is all just software. I'm not sure what I'm overlooking so if something reads odd, please comment.

-Chad

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Sat May 12, 2007 3:24 pm

MasterC wrote:Just a quick follow up:

Nope.

In order to get to a point where I would launch MythTV to then wake the backend means I have to have some sort of local storage to be able to launch the file. I think by really being cool and making a full blown image load into RAM might work, but that hardly seems worth it (or cost effective!).

But, the whole test got me thinking. I'm probably going to be rearranging my hardware before I go full blown diskless frontends. I'll be chatting here shortly after I finish my rearranging. :)

-Chad
I am confused. Are you NFS booting MiniMyth?

If you are RAM booting MiniMyth, then it does load the entire system into RAM. In addition, it should be able to wake the back end.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

MasterC

Post by MasterC » Tue May 15, 2007 5:11 pm

Oooh, I'll have to give that a whirl! No I wasn't using MiniMyth, it was pre-minimyth testing. I ran out of time so in about 3 weeks I'll be able to actually give minimyth a test and then see see how that goes.

Thanks for the words of encouragement! :)

-Chad