O/T - Larry - Building your own Distro

More general comments, including Off Topic.

Moderator: Pablo

GaryMacMinn

O/T - Larry - Building your own Distro

Post by GaryMacMinn » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:33 am

Hi All,

This is directed at Larry Matter - Some time ago you wrote an article called"Building your own Linux Distribution for a VIA EPIA M based system". Part 1 of this article is on the ViaArena web site but I was wondering if Part 2 ever made it into the wide world of the web anywhere? Google has not revealed anything as yet.

I've found part 1 an easy read and plan on trying it out for a couple of projects I've been thinking about for a while. I'd like to read part 2 if it's around.

Thanks,

Gary

lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:22 pm

Hi Gary,

By June of 2004 I had completed much of part 2, but it was getting increasingly difficult to find time to work on it. At the same time the unichrome project was taking off making much of my article irrelevant, so I sort of lost momentum.

For the sake of posterity, what I have is here:
http://linpvr.org/old/art4/roll_your_own_2.html

It is incomplete, not tested, pretty much guaranteed to have errors and untruths, not to mention broken links. Anything in ALL CAPS, particularly near the end, was likely a note to myself to finish or check something and should be ignored.

Enjoy!
Larry

GaryMacMinn

Building Distros Pt2

Post by GaryMacMinn » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:51 am

Hi Larry,

Thanks for that. In the quick read I did it will fill in a few gaps from when I tried to do this a while ago. I'll read through it properly over the weekend.

If nothing else it will help push me along the right path when I revisit making PXE bootable systems for a couple of things I have in mind. Even though hard drives are cheap and make things easier, I like network boot as it's easier to change images and centrally manage them. No moving parts will also be good for a couple of applications.

Thanks again,

Gary

GaryMacMinn

Post by GaryMacMinn » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:55 am

Larry,

Just skimming through the document again, did you happen to keep an archive of the art4 directory off http://linpvr.org that had your modified config files in it?

Thanks,

Gary

lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:00 pm

substitute "old/art4" for any "art4" links.

Let me know if anything is missing,