Minimyth NG - which kernel?

More general comments, including Off Topic.

Moderator: Pablo

shinysteve
Contributor

Minimyth NG - which kernel?

Post by shinysteve » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:24 am

Hi.

Sorry to be posting and pushing so much on this forum! You might guess that i'm quite thrilled with this little project. To me it represents an important sub-set of PVR users/builders becuase we are all using very similar hardware. One of the reasons that that the xbox media player/centre advanced so quickly was becuase it only uses one hardware build. I personally think that anyone that tries to create commercial software to work as a media centre on all PC platforms is doomed to failure. Even Microsoft realised that and restricted their hardware build for XP Media Centre.

Anyway, I digress - I just wanted to know, Larry, what your plans were for minimyth next release? (If any.) I've seen discussions about a build environment but no discussions on what kernel and only a few discussions on packages and features to add. The reason I want to know is that i'm probably going to re-build minimyth for myself with 2.4.25-epia1 kernel, mplayer with native lirc support and amixer/spdif out support and I want the work I do to be re-useable if possible.

If you're thinking of a different kernel, let me know!

Regards

Steve.

lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:42 pm

Hi Steve,

Don't worry about posting too much. I appreciate your participation. The sort answer is that I haven't decided on a particular version of the kernel yet as starting the next release of minimyth won't happen for probably a month. Go ahead and tinker with whatever you want. I'm sure what you learn will be very helpful in the future.

Long answer is, I have a lot of plans and not much time. Here is what I'm working on:

1) Part 2 of my article on how I built minimyth. As with part 1, this will be a close approximation of the real distribution and should show folks how to make a similar distro. It will include X, open source MPEG drivers, lirc, and mythfrontend. I won't include alsa nor the other myth modules because I want to keep the scope manageble.

2) I purchased a Scythe epia-1000 fanless case and will be doing a small writeup on my experience with it.

3) Somebody volunteered to revamp the linpvr.org website so I will be introducing that soon.

4) Get started on the next release of minimyth. This version, as mentioned before, will be mounted over NFS instead of downloaded as a cramfs image. I also want to set up a chroot'd build environment to facilitate collaboration without being dependent on your Linux distro.

5) I've begun tinkering with LinuxBIOS and have been able to get it working with etherboot, which then downloads a kernel and then the kernel hangs because I haven't biult a proper NFS root yet :-). But I've convinced myself that I can make minimyth boot using LinuxBIOS so I want to spend some time on that.

And then there is work and family :-)

cyrus007

Can you release portions of LinuxBIOS

Post by cyrus007 » Fri May 21, 2004 9:42 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the great product/project called miniMyth. I had a request/question about LinuxBIOS. I myself run KnoppMyth on my EPIA-M as I donot have a dedicated backend server. One day I might buy a new EPIA for the frontend.

Could you release a modified version of LinuxBIOS for EPIA-M so that I can load my KnoppMyth or Freepia from LILO/GRUB in as little time as possible. I want to keep LILO/GRUB for flexibility till I decide in the proper version of the kernel and the drivers to go with it.

Thanks for the good work.
Cyrus

lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter » Sat May 22, 2004 12:22 am

I'm going to start a seperate LinuxBIOS thread...See my response over there.