suspend / resume RAM to enable quicker boot.

More general comments, including Off Topic.

Moderator: Pablo

Hairlocks
Contributor

suspend / resume RAM to enable quicker boot.

Post by Hairlocks » Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:02 pm

I know very little about suspend/resume memory to disk so I thought I would susgest it here first. (Too much geek to little time)

What does everyone else think about the possiblity of reduceing the boot time by having a running system image to boot from without all the normal detection etc..

any resaon why not? :lol:

Hairlocks

Hairlocks
Contributor

Post by Hairlocks » Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:51 pm

found out that I really mean hibernate :oops:

lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:41 am

As I understand it, suspend means to save state in ram in low power, and hibernate means to save state to disk and then power off.

Suspend is not supported in 2.4 kernel for this motherboard. I've not heard of hibernate for Linux but maybe it's available. My approach currently is to make startup very fast.

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm currently playing with LinuxBIOS. My plan is put the kernel into the BIOS chip and then have it nfs-mount its root partition. This should reduce startup time quite a bit.

Another area where some speed-up should be possible is with X startup. I think it does some probing of hardware currently which I would like to eliminate.

Mythfrontend itself takes a while to start up, not sure what can be done about that.

Larry