A Big Thankyou!

More general comments, including Off Topic.

Moderator: Pablo

zzpanic

A Big Thankyou!

Post by zzpanic » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:43 pm

Hi,

I've been using minimyth for a while now, and just built a new frontend that required a custom compilation of minimyth. The whole process worked as advertised. (Version 46)

My build was for:
* 0.20.2-softpad
* Nvidia 96.43.05 drivers
* SIS chipset drivers for the motherboard

Thanks for keeping the softpad patches in the distribution. They work well with my softpad patched 0.20.2 build I use on my master backend/frontend combo.

Patrick.

Daley

Post by Daley » Fri May 01, 2009 9:42 pm

First time poster, long time squatter...

I've been making use of MM (and obviously the forums) for quite some time now, and wanted to post another big Thanks to Pablo and everyone else that has made this such a success for me and the rest of us.

It never ceases to amaze me how helpful everyone is, and how patient with some of the more neophyte questions. I've been supporting enterprise-class networks for over a decade, and those of us "in the business" know what a challenge that can be when someone asks something that seems so simple. The thing to keep in mind is that we all started at the same place - not knowing a thing.

That being said, Thanks Pablo, for everything. As a side-note, I just came across a bunch of VXL thin-clients that would be ridiculously cool as MM boxes, but after more hours than I care to admit I can't seem to get video to work. Surfing this forum has taught me that the video driver isn't supported, and lspci -nm hasn't really revealed much to me, but then I'm a hardware/network/server guy, not so much a code/drivers guy. I'd be willing to ship one or two to Pablo if he wants to play with 'em to get 'em working - it'd benefit me cuz I'd be able to make use of this hardware, and maybe Mr. MiniMyth can make use of a couple extra frontends.

Pablo? What'cha think? PM me if you want.
If it's not fun, you're not doing it right!

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Sat May 02, 2009 6:53 pm

Daley wrote:I've been supporting enterprise-class networks for over a decade, and those of us "in the business" know what a challenge that can be when someone asks something that seems so simple. The thing to keep in mind is that we all started at the same place - not knowing a thing.
I agree. I believe that we must remember
Bernard of Chartres wrote:We are like dwarfs standing upon the shoulders of giants, and so able to see more and see farther than the ancients.
That is, without the work and knowledge of those that educated us, we would not be able to do what we do. Therefore, in order to continue, we must pass on what we learned from them along with what we have learned for ourselves.
That being said, Thanks Pablo, for everything. As a side-note, I just came across a bunch of VXL thin-clients that would be ridiculously cool as MM boxes, but after more hours than I care to admit I can't seem to get video to work. Surfing this forum has taught me that the video driver isn't supported, and lspci -nm hasn't really revealed much to me, but then I'm a hardware/network/server guy, not so much a code/drivers guy. I'd be willing to ship one or two to Pablo if he wants to play with 'em to get 'em working - it'd benefit me cuz I'd be able to make use of this hardware, and maybe Mr. MiniMyth can make use of a couple extra frontends.

Pablo? What'cha think? PM me if you want.
I would be happy to work with you to get the thin-clients working with MiniMyth, assuming that it is possible.

However, I have no need for addition frontend hardware. In fact, I unused frontend hardware at the moment.

If you could post or PM me the output of

Code: Select all

lspci -mn
the output of

cat /proc/meminfo
and the output of

cat /proc/cpuinfo
then I can see whether or not I can include driver support for the thin-clients in the next build.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.