I like this project but I have a question

More general comments, including Off Topic.

Moderator: Pablo

RichShumaker

I like this project but I have a question

Post by RichShumaker » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:31 am

I love Myth and the Eden boards by Via.
But I have a question,
Why make the boot so small?
I know you want to boot over a network but since MythTV is a PVR doesn't it need lots of hard drive storage?

Or are you booting over the network and then storing the information on a sepearate location?

Is anyone booting several small front end computers on several computers around the house. Then recording all information back to a central location?
How easy it is to transfer footage from machine to machine. Or playing it from One location to another across the network?
I guess my confusion comes from not knowing why you would need MythTV over MoviX GeekBox or any other small player style bootdisk. If you are doing more than playing information back I understand MythTV. But then wouldn't you need more storage space?

Anyway I am not trying to make anyone upset I am just trying to understand the proper usage of this project.

Thanks for any help with my confusion.

Rich Shumaker
Rich Shumaker At Contact Juggling Dot Com
www.RichShumaker.com

lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:21 pm

In the current MiniMyth configuration, diskless frontends do not do any recording. They only play back what the server(s) record. I have four frontends (though two are on my bench) that boot from the server and can play back streams over the net.

Search the LinPVR news and you'll see my little stress test where I played five streams at once while recording 3 others, all with no stuttering.

In the future I would like to enhance minimyth to record (and write to an NFS mounted partition).

Larry

RichShumaker

Thnak you

Post by RichShumaker » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:08 pm

Thank you very much for the reply.
I now understand the usage of this project.

The only question I had about your Network was is it Gigabit?
That is pretty amazing what you can do with it.

On the PVR 250, can it encode video? I thought it was a decoder card?

Also do you use the FM tuners at all?
Can MythTV dial the FM tuner and record radio programs?
I will search the forum to find the cheapest front end built. And an inexpensive backend as well.
Do you have any special decoder cards on the front end playback units or just the Via vid output?

Thanks again.

Rich Shumaker

lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:16 pm

Rich, I would suggest you do a lot of research before you buy anything. Especially look at compatibility and check the PVR hardware database (link is in the PVRInfo section of this website).

The PVR 250 is an encoder card (it records TV). The EPIA M's include a TV out, and an MPEG2 decoder (which off-loads the CPU). They make a nice pairing. The PVR 350 also includes an MPEG2 decoder (and TV Out) but I don't use that.

My network is switched 100Mbit. Each stream is about 5 MBit/second so plenty of headroom.

I don't know about the FM tuners.

Larry

RichShumaker

Very cool

Post by RichShumaker » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:55 pm

I am doing research all the time on this project.
I have a Via MII right now and I use it all the time with LInux.
I will try to get MiniMyth to work on it once I have a Backend Myth Box up and running.
I want a boot as needed Via MII box so I don't have to dedicate this unit to Myth. Hopefully MiniMyth will allow me to do this by booting from Lan from the BackEnd system as needed. When not needed as a MythBox I will use it as a Linux box for other stuff, mostly business.

I will then be looking into an XBox as a second playback unit.

I am going to try to pick up a PVR250 for the back end system in the next week or two.
Then I will start building or rebuilding the back end from an extra system I already have. First I need to get all of the information off the raid on that system.

Thanks for the help on this.

Rich Shumaker