Network Block Device

More general comments, including Off Topic.

Moderator: Pablo

SH-101

Network Block Device

Post by SH-101 » Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:11 am

I want feedback on a idea i have.

My problem is that i want my TV-signals to go IN to the system in my TV-room, not my computerroom.

One of my ideas is to set up a PVR-card on the frontend via NBD to the backend to do the recordings and other stuff on my backend.

Any one got any idea if this is possible?

If it isnt i have to set up the whole mythTV on my netboot i guess .. and just leave out the mysql and storage to the backend (NFS)

lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter » Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:03 pm

Essentially you want the full stack on your frontend and just nfs mount the drives from a system in your computer room?

This seems reasonable and you can probably do it with Harilocks bloated edition. The database can run anywhere.

You could either set up the computerroom as the master backend with no capture cards and make your frontend a slave backend, or if Hairlock's distro supports it, just make the frontend the master backend (but still leave the database running on the system in the computer room).

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Larry

SH-101

Post by SH-101 » Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:12 am

I gave making my own netboot a shot. Ive got a Debian with 2.6.6 kernel PXE netboot NFS-mount running, but i can't get the ivtv drivers to compile. Have to make a new kernel (2.4.?) and try again.

Thanks for your reply!
I'll report my status later on ;)

IS there really official drivers for redhat and suse out there?