Via Epia MS10000?

More general comments, including Off Topic.

Moderator: Pablo

ThomP

Via Epia MS10000?

Post by ThomP » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:21 pm

Just some quick questions before I go ahead and invest a lot of time trying to move from Windows/Meedio to Linux/MythTV:

- Can I use minimyth with my MS board?
- Is the installation (both server and client) simple/complex/near-impossible for a reasonably technical minded, experienced Windows user who never worked with Linux?

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:45 pm

MiniMyth should run fine on the EPIA MS.

MiniMyth is not a stand alone solutoin. It is the MythTV frontend (client) only. It expects that you have a MythTV backend (server) running on another computer.

I have friends with the same qualifications as you that are now running Fedora Core MythTV backends with MiniMyth frontends. Based on them, I would say that it is somehere between simple and complex. Jarod's guide makes setting up the backend on Fedora Core relatively easy. Larry's network boot instructions make setting up the MiniMyth frontend relatively easy. However, when something happens that are not in the guides/instructions, it can be helpful to have a fiend that has done it before and understands Linux.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

Eduardo
Contributor

Post by Eduardo » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:54 am

There is also knoppmyth for those who really fear Linux. It can handle making a backend server on most systems.

You would still need to do the network boot components, after the fact.
Eduardo
-- M10000-Ezra 512M minimyth-0.19 / AMD 1.1 GHz 512M PVR350 w/tvout Myth 0.19 knoppmyth.R5B7

ThomP

Post by ThomP » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:24 pm

Ok, thanks to both of you. I will give it a try!