Other net booting, CRAMFS based distros?

More general comments, including Off Topic.

Moderator: Pablo

french_mullet

Other net booting, CRAMFS based distros?

Post by french_mullet » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:39 pm

I have an EPIA machine that I want to net boot to run my own custom Ruby/DAAP based music player. The front end would just run Ruby on rails and use the DAAP classes to connect back to iTunes and other DAAP shares.

http://rubyforge.org/projects/daapclient/

Minimyth is such a beautiful little distro so I thought I'd take a look under the hood and maybe base my project on it. Well, I never really knew how much work went into Minimyth until now. GAR is somewhat daunting.

So, before I start tearing out all the Mythtv components, is there a more basic distro that might better suit my purposes? I really want to stick with a PXE boot and a cramfs based root, it works so well.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:46 pm

I am not aware of any CRAMFS based bootable images that would make things any easier.

Have you considered using PXE to download and boot the kernel, but NFS mounting the root file system? This would allow you to use a standard Linux distribution. I know of people that do this with Fedora Core and with Gentoo.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

french_mullet

Post by french_mullet » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:57 am

Yeah, after looking into it a bit more I'm likely going to go with an NFS root. It'll probably work better for a continuously evolving project anyway.

I'm kind of surprised that there isn't a vanilla linux distro that does with Minimyth does in terms of PXE boot and cramfs root fs. It's slick like loon shit.

seth_keith
Contributor

PXE booting

Post by seth_keith » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:40 pm

You might look into Warewulf ( http://www.warewulf-cluster.org/warewulf.html ). This is a generic diskless or disk based PXE booting system that will let you run entirely off a disk image, ( I don't think it is cramfs, but something similar ) or NFS, or a hybrid of both that will put some stuff in the image, and leave big stuff on the NFS drives.