Direct FB support

More general comments, including Off Topic.

Moderator: Pablo

Nem
Contributor

Direct FB support

Post by Nem » Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:59 am

Guys,

Has anyone experimented with Direct FB support??

If Myth is running in full screen without using a windowing system, what happens if you want to use mythVideo (mplayer), does this still work ? Also, does lircd depend on X windows, if so .. how can the remote controls be used without it?

Regards,

Darren

Hairlocks
Contributor

Post by Hairlocks » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:27 am

I know mplayer supports a variety of output formats, it works on the vga console (a bit slowly though) so I would imagine directFB is possible, not sure about xine or viaexp though.

John

Hairlocks
Contributor

Post by Hairlocks » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:48 am

mplayer supports direct FB. from there website

Another great feature of MPlayer is the wide range of supported output drivers. It works with X11, XV, DGA, OpenGL, SVGAlib, fbdev, AAlib, DirectFB, but you can use GGI, SDL (and this way all their drivers), VESA (on every VESA compatible card, even without X11!) and some low level card-specific drivers (for Matrox, 3Dfx and ATI), too! Most of them support software or hardware scaling, so you can enjoy movies in fullscreen. MPlayer supports displaying through some hardware MPEG decoder boards, such as the Siemens DVB, DXR2 and DXR3/Hollywood+!

MrRed

Re: DirectFB

Post by MrRed » Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:36 pm

I wrote some code a little while ago that adds (preliminary) support for DirectFB to mythtv. Wayne (chiphead) cleaned it up some and now it's in the CVS...though it still has some problems. Check it out if you like.

My objective is to be able to run mythtv + all modules without X.

Stay tuned for updates.

lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:24 pm

Would mythfrontend still be able to take advantage of the MPEG decoder without X?

I know there has been some work to add MPEG decoder support to a Via DirectFB driver, but I have not followed it and don't know if it is compatible with the HWSlice code currently in mythfrontend.

MrRed

Post by MrRed » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:48 pm

lmatter wrote:Would mythfrontend still be able to take advantage of the MPEG decoder without X?
I beleive some work is being done in this area, but I haven't tried it myself.

However, performance may be good enough without it - see http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/ma ... gine#93353