I think this approach should work for any VIA EPIA <= i586
Here is what I did:
#1 - look for a sdlmame .i386 package for my back end distribution ( in my case fedora core 6 ). I found one for fc5, it installed fine anyway.
#2 - copy sdlmame from the backend /usr/bin to a shared location where your frontend can get to it.
#3 - Resolve any missing library binaries. I had NO library requirements, but I already have my minimyth patched to use the necessary firefox libraries. All binaries for firefox are still available from protranslation.us user: firstname.lastname@example.org pwd: take out the @.... part. The file is ff.tar.bz2
#4 - create a /mnt/game/mame/roms directory
#5 - put teeter torture legal rom available from:
into /mnt/game/mame/roms. Put the whole .zip file there. Do not unzip it.
#6 Create new emulator settings for .zip extension. The command to play is:
The rom path is:
Other settings do not matter.
#7 Don't forget to scan for new games!
I think that is it. This worked for about 40% of all mame games tried.
The rest just failed inexplicably... If I somehow build sdlmame should I have better luck, or do many of these games not work with sdlmame. I get the game loaded, then it just exists.