Help with booting MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

nietu

what has changed on RAM FS based booting

Post by nietu » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:05 am

RAMFS based 20-22.b3 works perfectly.
I have tested 20-22.b8 and 20-22.b13. Both get stalled to the phase
"local0.info minimyth: waiting for directory /minimyth to mount ..."

Same configuration files for dhcpd, pxe, minimyth etc. used (pxe conf ofcourse pointed to different kernel and rootfs)

Anu hints?

/Tommi

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:22 pm

In recent test versions of MiniMyth, the method for determining whether nework or local boot was used has changed. Now, if the 'file' field in the DHCPOFFER is not empty, then MiniMyth assumes that network boot was used. Otherwise, MiniMyth assumes local boot was used.

The BOOTP/DHCP 'file' field is the field containing the path to the PXE boot file (e.g. '/pxelinux.0') on the TFTP server. It is required during BOOTP for PXE boot. MiniMyth has always expected it during DHCP as well, becuase MiniMyth uses it to determine the path to the 'conf' directory on the TFTP server. However, in the past, if the DHCP 'file' field was empty, then MiniMtyh could still work because MiniMyth would assume the 'conf' directory was at the root of the TFTP server.

If your network configuration does not allow you to set the BOOTP/DHCP 'file' field during DHCP (e.g. your BOOTP and DHCP servers are different servers, and your DHCP server is crippled), then you should be able to make it work by adding MM_BOOT_TYPE='network' to the APPEND line in your PXE configuration file.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

nietu

Post by nietu » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:24 pm

Here is the dhcpd.conf part which is working w/ 20-22.b3 but not b8 or b13. I tried to add MM_BOOT_TYPE='network' to pxe conf file but that didn't solve the issue. Also attribute called file was not acceptable by mine dhch server. I'm running FC6, all services pxe etc are from Fedora distro. Are you familiar w/ this problem?

*****************clip****************
host Mythfrontend-1 {
hardware ethernet 00:40:63:d4:d1:9b;
fixed-address 192.168.1.6;
next-server 192.168.1.40;
if substring(option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9) = "PXEClient" {
filename "pxelinux.0";
}
}

/Tommi

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:36 pm

nietu wrote:Here is the dhcpd.conf part which is working w/ 20-22.b3 but not b8 or b13. I tried to add MM_BOOT_TYPE='network' to pxe conf file but that didn't solve the issue. Also attribute called file was not acceptable by mine dhch server. I'm running FC6, all services pxe etc are from Fedora distro. Are you familiar w/ this problem?

host Mythfrontend-1 {
hardware ethernet 00:40:63:d4:d1:9b;
fixed-address 192.168.1.6;
next-server 192.168.1.40;
if substring(option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9) = "PXEClient" {
filename "pxelinux.0";
}
}

/Tommi
The ISC DHCP server calls the 'file' field in the DHCPOFFER message 'filename'. I believe that the problem is that you restrict 'filename' to be sent only when the 'vendor-class-identifier' is 'PXEClient'. As a result, it is not sent during regular DHCP only during PXE boot. If you remove the conditional, then it should work.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

nietu

Post by nietu » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:12 pm

Thanks, that was the solution

/Tommi