mtd not started on frontend

Help with booting MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

seth_keith
Contributor

mtd not started on frontend

Post by seth_keith » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:38 pm

Sorry for newbe questions, I just got this thing going. I have a myth frontend PXE booting, playing videos from NFS drives. I have the DVD RIP settings to use the NFS drive as a temp storage.

When I start the front end, I don't think mtd gets started. If I telnet into the front end, then start mtd manually as root, it works fine. However if I try to start it as minimyth then it fails with a permission error, even though I have my NFS settings to treat remote users as root.

I don't know if this is an NFS problem or if mtd needs something specail to start on a minimyth frontend. Please help.

JoeHenley
Contributor

Post by JoeHenley » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:41 pm

I run it on the backend. Works fine.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:25 pm

MiniMyth runs mtd as root.

It will not start mtd unless /mnt/dvd/mythdvd/temp exists (or can be created) and is writable by root.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

seth_keith
Contributor

Post by seth_keith » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:42 pm

Pablo wrote:MiniMyth runs mtd as root.

It will not start mtd unless /mnt/dvd/mythdvd/temp exists (or can be created) and is writable by root.

I was thinking along these lines, but I don't think this is my problem because I *CAN* start mtd from the front end manually and it works fine. I canged the RIP settings so the temp directory is /mnt/video/temp, and this file exists and is writable by root. I think this is where mtd tries to write the log... There must be something different about the way mtd starts up at boot time and when it is started manually.......

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:15 pm

Here is the part of the /etc/rc.d/init.d/mythtv init script that determines whether or not mtd is started

Code: Select all

# Configure MythDVD ripping.
    if /usr/bin/test "${MM_MYTHDVD_ENABLED}" = "yes" ; then
        if /usr/bin/test -d "${MM_MYTHDVD_MOUNTPOINT}" && /usr/bin/test -w "${MM_MYTHDVD_MOUNTPOINT}" ; then
            /bin/mkdir -p "${MM_MYTHDVD_MOUNTPOINT}/mythdvd/temp"
        fi
        if /usr/bin/test -d "${MM_MYTHDVD_MOUNTPOINT}/mythdvd/temp" && \
           /usr/bin/test -w "${MM_MYTHDVD_MOUNTPOINT}/mythdvd/temp" ; then
            mm_mythdb_settings_set "DVDRipLocation" "${MM_MYTHDVD_MOUNTPOINT}/mythdvd/temp"
            TRANSCODE=`/usr/bin/which transcode`
            mm_mythdb_settings_set "TranscodeCommand" "${TRANSCODE}"
            /usr/bin/mtd --daemon
        fi
    fi
MM_MYTHDVD_MOUNTPOINT is /mnt/dvd unless you set it to something else.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

ph0t0nix

Post by ph0t0nix » Mon May 21, 2007 2:52 pm

JoeHenley wrote:I run it on the backend. Works fine.
Does that mean you insert the DVD to be ripped in the backend? Or are you running mtd on the backend and somehow instruct the frontend to connect to the mtd on the backend? Of so, how did you configure that?

seth_keith
Contributor

mtd

Post by seth_keith » Mon May 21, 2007 5:44 pm

I run mtd on the backend and the frontend so I can rip or play from either box. Frontend mtd is setup per Pablo's instructions, for the backend yer on your own, I just start mtd as a daemon in the startup scripts.

JoeHenley
Contributor

Post by JoeHenley » Tue May 22, 2007 3:56 am

ph0t0nix wrote:
JoeHenley wrote:I run it on the backend. Works fine.
Does that mean you insert the DVD to be ripped in the backend? Or are you running mtd on the backend and somehow instruct the frontend to connect to the mtd on the backend? Of so, how did you configure that?
As mentioned just above my response, you could do both. In my case I run /usr/bin/mtd --daemon in my /etc/rc.d/rc.local file (Fedora Core 6) on my BE machine. My DVD player is also on the BE machine.

If I wanted to run it on the FE machine, I'd add the mtd command to the rc.sysinit file on my FE machine.

ph0t0nix

Post by ph0t0nix » Tue May 22, 2007 9:14 am

I have mtd running on both the frontend (thanks to the posts above) and the backend, but what I would like to do (since the backend doesn't have a DVD player but has a faster processor) is to somehow let the backend to the ripping of the DVD in the frontend. So I wonder if it is possible to instruct the frontend to use the mtd of the backend. Since mtd opens a network port I would assume that it is possible.

JoeHenley
Contributor

Post by JoeHenley » Tue May 22, 2007 2:22 pm

ph0t0nix wrote:I have mtd running on both the frontend (thanks to the posts above) and the backend, but what I would like to do (since the backend doesn't have a DVD player but has a faster processor) is to somehow let the backend to the ripping of the DVD in the frontend. So I wonder if it is possible to instruct the frontend to use the mtd of the backend. Since mtd opens a network port I would assume that it is possible.
It's not exactly the same, but I can rip CD's on the FE and they are stored on the BE. In fact, I can rip CD's on both the FE and the BE at the same time and it works fine. I think if you have mtd on the FE, you should be able to use the DVD on the FE for playing and ripping.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.