dhcp failed

Help with booting MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

m_kane
Contributor

dhcp failed

Post by m_kane » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:43 pm

Hi,

I'm installing minimyth to my new frontend machine, and i use diskless boot.

I have Asus M2N-MX motherboard, whitch has Nforce 430 chipset and Nvidia 6100 GPU. It has nvidia Gigabit ethernet driver.

It loads pxeboot ok, but right after entering graphic "MythTV" screen, it says "DHCP Failed" and in the upper corner "no more processes left in this runlevel"

Could it be ethernet driver? I assumed that there is nvidia driver bundled in the newest kernel? Or is gigabit driver different?

I can't even telnet to machine, so does it look like driver problem?

Here is my dhcpd.conf:

********start***********

ddns-update-style ad-hoc;

subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
range 192.168.1.30 192.168.1.50;
allow bootp;
allow booting;
default-lease-time 10800;
max-lease-time 28800;
option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
option broadcast-address 192.168.1.255;
option routers 192.168.1.1;
option domain-name-servers 62.240.64.135;
option domain-name "DTC";
option ip-forwarding off;
option nntp-server pool.ntp.org;

group {
host mediaclient1 {
next-server 192.168.1.99;
filename "PXEClient/pxelinux.0";
hardware ethernet 00:1A:92:49:25:8E;
fixed-address 192.168.1.31 ;
}
}
}

*********end****************

And default (in the \\Mediaserver\root\tftpboot\PXEClient\pxelinux.cfg folder)

********start*********

PROMPT 1
DEFAULT minimyth
DISPLAY messages
TIMEOUT 5

label minimyth
KERNEL kernel
APPEND ro root=/dev/ram0 initrd=rootfs ramdisk_blocksize=4096 ramdisk=64000
# MYTHSERVER=192.168.1.99 TIMESERVER=84.54.128.8

*******end***********

I have basic (example) minimyth.conf, i assumed that it is not the fault, because it seems to hang before asking that file.

Thanks at advance

-ismo

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:05 pm

It does appear to be a lack of an Ethernet driver.

A quick google reveals that the Linux kernel does not contain a driver for the Ethernet hardware on the motherboard. There appears to be one under development. However, I did not look at it enough to determine whether or not it can be compiled into the kernel (in particular, the 2.6.17 kernel). If it can only be compiled as a module, then it will not work with MiniMyth.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

m_kane
Contributor

Post by m_kane » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:02 am

Pablo wrote:It does appear to be a lack of an Ethernet driver.

A quick google reveals that the Linux kernel does not contain a driver for the Ethernet hardware on the motherboard. There appears to be one under development. However, I did not look at it enough to determine whether or not it can be compiled into the kernel (in particular, the 2.6.17 kernel). If it can only be compiled as a module, then it will not work with MiniMyth.
Ok, thanks for response.

Do you have any suggestion what motherboard I should use? The Asus model mentioned in the minimyth page is not available anymore. And I don't want to go with epic.

I have bunch of alternatives.

- MSI K9VGM-V : Via Chipset, Realtek ALC883 sound audio, VIa? VGA
- MSI K9N6SGM-V : Nvidia MCP61 Chipset ??
- MSI K9MM-V : Via Chipset, S3 Graphics Unichrome, Realtek ALC655 Sound

Do you think any of those should work? Maybe the last one?
I work in the computer firm, so it is easy to me to try.

Sorry about questions, but I am a little newbie with Linux, and it seems little difficult to me to find answers with google.

Other possibility is separate ethernet card, but I can't find supported one with boot rom.

m_kane
Contributor

Post by m_kane » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:18 pm

Testing continues:

I tested MSI K9VGM-V MB, whitch has Via chipset and Via VGA.
It was able to boot, and i could telnet to it. Minimyth.error.log says that there is no supported display hardware. So, i think Via VGA-chip is not compatible with minimyth.

Next i tested MSI K9NBPM2-FID. It has Nvidia chipset and nvidia 6100 vga.

It boots ok to mythtv-display :

Starting network
Starting telnet
Loading kernel modules (automatic)
Waiting for directory /minimyth to mount...

And there it stops. It will never mount that directory or display any error message. I think this is due network card incompability? On the other hand, it starts network and telnet (i anyway can't telnet to it) and loads kernel modules.

Any ideas? This motherboard looks like good choice, if it could work..
dhcp.conf and default are same as earlier post (only MAC address is different)

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:48 pm

m_kane wrote:Testing continues:

I tested MSI K9VGM-V MB, whitch has Via chipset and Via VGA.
It was able to boot, and i could telnet to it. Minimyth.error.log says that there is no supported display hardware. So, i think Via VGA-chip is not compatible with minimyth.
Some VIA chipsets are supported and some are not. This motherboard has a VIA K8M890, which is not supported by the VIA kernel DRM module in MiniMyth. New versions of the VIA kernel DRM modules support the VIA K8M890, but these newer modules cause other problems. As a result, they are not used.
Next i tested MSI K9NBPM2-FID. It has Nvidia chipset and nvidia 6100 vga.

It boots ok to mythtv-display :

Starting network
Starting telnet
Loading kernel modules (automatic)
Waiting for directory /minimyth to mount...

And there it stops. It will never mount that directory or display any error message. I think this is due network card incompability? On the other hand, it starts network and telnet (i anyway can't telnet to it) and loads kernel modules.

Any ideas? This motherboard looks like good choice, if it could work..
dhcp.conf and default are same as earlier post (only MAC address is different)
I do know whether or not this motherboard's Ethernet has a Linux driver. If you can find out what Linux driver is required, and if that Linux driver is supported by the 2.6.17.4 kernel, then I can add it.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

m_kane
Contributor

Post by m_kane » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:55 pm

It seems hard to find drivers to this chip. :(

I have several alternatives I can try. Is S3 chip enough powerful to show DVD:s, liveTV and avi:s with deinterlacing on?

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:31 am

m_kane wrote:I have several alternatives I can try. Is S3 chip enough powerful to show DVD:s, liveTV and avi:s with deinterlacing on?
I do not know, but I suspect that the answer would depend on the CPU that you use. If you are talking about the MSI K9MM-V that you mentioned, then I suspect just about any AM2 socketed AMD CPU would be fast enough.

m_kane
Contributor

Post by m_kane » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:10 pm

Now I have Asus M2NPV-MX installed.
It now boots ok, and everything works smoothly.. except sound.

I can't get any sound out. If I disable motherboard's audiochip, I get error message when loading minimyth. So I think, it really loads drivers.

Lsmod shows snd_hda_intel.

What is wrong?? Is there minimyth.conf-settings, what i can try? I don't know what to put to MM_AUDIO_TYPE, MM_AUDIO_CARD_NUMBER or MM_AUDIO_DEVICE_NUMBER lines.

Asus user manual says, that board includes SoundMax AD1986A High Definition Audio chip.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:34 pm

m_kane wrote:Now I have Asus M2NPV-MX installed.
It now boots ok, and everything works smoothly.. except sound.

I can't get any sound out. If I disable motherboard's audiochip, I get error message when loading minimyth. So I think, it really loads drivers.

Lsmod shows snd_hda_intel.

What is wrong?? Is there minimyth.conf-settings, what i can try? I don't know what to put to MM_AUDIO_TYPE, MM_AUDIO_CARD_NUMBER or MM_AUDIO_DEVICE_NUMBER lines.

Asus user manual says, that board includes SoundMax AD1986A High Definition Audio chip.
For MiniMyth settings, have you tried both MM_AUDIO_TYPE='analog' and MM_AUDIO_TYPE='digital'? For MythTV settings have you tried the different possible settings in the General settings menu?

If that does not work, there are at least four possibilities.

The ALSA drivers may not work on this board. Do you know whether or not ALSA sound works on this board.

MiniMyth attempts to set the the ALSA mixer controls (using 'amixer') correctly. However, it must guess which ones need to be unmuted. It could be getting them wrong. You could try using 'amixer' to unmute additional controls. If you get this to work, then please let me know which setting(s) you needed to unmute and whether you are using analog or digital output.

If you are using digital audio, the ASLA device number is wrong. You can see all playback device numbers using 'cat /proc/asound/devices'. The device number is the second number in the brackets ('[' ']'). Any one labeled 'digital audio playback' could be the device. Try setting MM_AUDIO_DEVICE_NUMBER to each of the values. If you get this to work, then please let me the device number along with the output of 'lspci -mn'.

m_kane
Contributor

Post by m_kane » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:40 pm

Thanks very much for your help!!

It was so easy that i could not even think it as a possibility. I only changed "ALSA Default" from general settings. It seems that those settings are stored to mysql database? Because I only had to do it once.

m_kane
Contributor

Post by m_kane » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:06 pm

Ok, this does not belong here, but I odn't want to start new topic for this.

How to get progressive output as a default?

I have now dvb-cards and i have set deinterlace enabled in minimyth.conf.

It uses bob, and I can change it in settings, if I want, but it won't memorize ( or write it to mysql database)

Bob is ok, but i have a hell of a flickering, when I pop up a OSD. When I set video scan --> Progressive, flickering goes away. But after program change etc., it is there again.

Default setting seems to be "Detect", and it allways detects "interlaced", but "progressive looks a much better.

When watching DVD, it seems to set it "progressive"

Topolopulus

Post by Topolopulus » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:31 am

mmm... interesting....
i got the same error, and i have a gigabyte motherboard with same chipset Nforce 430 chipset and Nvidia 6100 GPU.
BUT ..... it only happen with newer minimyth version(0.20-21), when i use my old minimyth version, it could be boot without problem...
but let me try again, i'll report the result

:wink:

Topolopulus

Post by Topolopulus » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:41 am

mm... sorry, 0.20-21 is my old version, i got problem with 0.20.1-26b8
and guess what.... it is true.......
with 0.20-21 i can boot perfectly
whth 0.20.1-26b8 .... i got DHCP failed...
i don't know why, maybe kernel or something else.....
without newer version, i can not see my chinese file name mp3 T_T

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:47 pm

Topolopulus wrote:mm... sorry, 0.20-21 is my old version, i got problem with 0.20.1-26b8
and guess what.... it is true.......
with 0.20-21 i can boot perfectly
whth 0.20.1-26b8 .... i got DHCP failed...
i don't know why, maybe kernel or something else.....
without newer version, i can not see my chinese file name mp3 T_T
What is the exact error message?
What is your ISC DHCP server configuration?

Topolopulus

Post by Topolopulus » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:06 pm

below is my dhcp configuration, i had had tried to get ltsp service to provide terminal service... but i give up, so... my dhcp is really simple

# dhcpd.conf

option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
option broadcast-address 192.168.1.255;
option routers 192.168.1.103;
option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.103;
option domain-name "workgroup"; # You really should fix this
option option-128 code 128 = string;
option option-129 code 129 = text;

get-lease-hostnames true;

next-server 192.168.1.103;
#option root-path "192.168.1.103:/opt/ltsp/i386";
option root-path "/tftpboot";

subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
range 192.168.1.150 192.168.1.199;
if substring (option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9) = "PXEClient" {
filename "/minimyth/pxelinux.0";
}
else{
#filename "/lts/vmlinuz-2.6.16.1-ltsp-2";
filename "/minimyth/pxelinux.0";
}
}

the exact error i got from graphic screen is Err: DHCP Failed, and in text mode i saw it stoped after start network until "there are no more @#$% in this process"
cause of it doesn't get any ip from server, i could not login into client side, if you need more information, i will give you ASAP