usb flash install - waiting for directory /minimyth to mount

Help with booting MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

kingmoffa

Post by kingmoffa » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:26 am

Thanks for the nice long post. Some of the info was invaluable. Esp copying the modules.

I have followed the instructions pretty well and have modified my flash card without any major errors. When I get home I will try it out and let you know how I get on.

Did you have any luck with your audio? Im wondering if I will encounter any problems.

kingmoffa

Post by kingmoffa » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:16 pm

Success , well sort of.

I have my machine booting, a few issues to deal with still however.

1) My remote control doesn't work. Im not sure why, its a lirc serial reciever. And it looks like all the files are in the right place. If i telnet into the box , irw doesn't display anything. However if I kill lircd and remove the lirc_serial module and reload it , then restart lirc. irw shows expected output. Im hoping its an easy fix given a little time to play.

2) No sound :( This could be a bigger problem. My sound card is listed in lspci as :

00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Sound Controller (rev a0)

Im guessing i need to reinstall alsa sound modules. This could be a nightmare.

Any advice would be welcome, esp for the audio.

kingmoffa

Post by kingmoffa » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:47 am

Got my remote control sorted, a change of irq in the minimyth.conf file needed.

Still no luck with sound. I've tried making alsa modules in the kernel and installing them in a similar way to above. No joy.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

kingmoffa

Post by kingmoffa » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:48 am

All is good in the hood :)

The sound was working all along, i just needed to configure myth as needed to be set to alsa.

Thanks everyone for their help.

SmittyHalibut

Post by SmittyHalibut » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:52 am

Kingmoffa: I'm glad you got your stuff working. :-)

...now, if I can just get mine. :-( I tried to go back and do exactly what I told you to do and it's not working for me. I think I screwed up my kernel source or the root filesystem or something, so I'm starting over from scratch tonight to make sure I've got a clean starting point.

Worst case, I may ask you to upload your kernel and rootfs files somewhere I can grab them. Hopefully I won't need to do that.

Pablo: Any word on a new kernel built the "correct" way with support for SiS5513?

SmittyHalibut

Working! Words of wisdom

Post by SmittyHalibut » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:53 am

I finally got my stuff working. A few updates to the process I posted earlier.

1: Make sure to do your unpacking and packing of the squashfs root filesystem _AS_ROOT_. If you do it as a user (like I did; I guess I didn't get the sudo in there like I thought), then it doesn't correctly make things like /dev/console, or correctly preserve SUID bits on things like /usr/bin/X. These caused all kinds of errors. (Unfortunately, I didn't write down the specific errors otherwise I'd post them here so others searching for said errors would find the solution.)

Anyway. That was the cause of the problems I ran into last time I was trying this. It masked itself as a Kernel panic immediately upon boot. The problem was that it couldn't find /dev/console, because it didn't exist. Then X could start claiming it couldn't open /dev/tty0, because the SUID bit on /usr/bin/X was lost. At this point, I figured out what I did wrong and started over.

I'm working now and watching TV from my backend! w00-h00! And it's only 3am!

Thanks again to everyone for their help, and Pablo for, well, everything. :)

-Mark

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:18 am

I am glad that you got it working.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.