I'm investigating the possibilities of creating a diskless MythTv Frontend using MiniMyth and want to know what boot times I should expect.
Can anybody answer these questions related to boot time?
- 1. Which part of the boot takes the longest time?
2. How long is the overall boot time?
3. Is instant boot possible (does it require special hardware)?
4. Can I speed up boot time by building MiniMyth from source myself?
5. What is fastest: network boot or local boot using CF?
I want a boot time of 20-30 secs. Is that possible?
Here is some talking about boot times:
I think it depends on many things. My boot time is ~60sec with latest test build. It is clearly slower than older builds.
1. Don't know exactly, but:
- Bios screens and network filesystem loading takes about 20sec for me
- Configuring minimyth takes ~35sec
- Starting X and frontend takes ~5sec
2. My hardware is sempron LE-1100, 512mt and 1GB lan. Takes ~60sec. In one frontend I have X2 CPU, and it is significally faster in configuring part. I have tested Athlon 3800+ And X2 4000+ and I can say, that two cores make booting much faster than single core.
3. I think CF and USB boots are possible. My opinion is that TFT-boot is best solution, indeed I haven't test other methods. TFT boot is really flexible, you can update versions just throwing new images to server's tftboot directory. Also, filesystem never gets corrupted when using ram image
4. I think you can , but Pablo sure knows better.
5. Not sure, but I bet network
Some time ago, with simple theme etc. I was seeing ~35-40sec boot time.
It depends very many things; hardware, network speed, myth version, minimyth version, local ntp-server, minimyth script execution (if you have custom script or downloads), themecache etc.