Need help creating a USB flash key boot please

Help with booting MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

johnrock

Need help creating a USB flash key boot please

Post by johnrock » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:30 pm

Hi,

I want to build a silent htpc with a AOpen XC Cube EZ18 (specs: http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=736&page=2) and a 1GB USB flash key. I don't have a capture card at the moment, so it will be mainly to listen to music and watch pictures on my network usb hard drive plugged into a NSLU2 (http://www.nslu2-linux.org/) which is plugged into the same Linksys router as the XC Cube. The htpc will be plugged into a standard TV via s-video and I have I iPAQ hx4700 I would like to use to control the htpc via a web interface that I think is included with MythTV.

I'm not very good in Linux, but here's what I did so far:

1. Downloaded and extracted ram-minimyth-0.21.0-42 on a notebook running Debian.

2. Plugged in the USB key

3. Erased what was on it

4. Went into the scripts folder and ran: ./mm_local_install /dev/sda and said Yes at the prompt

5. After a while, I get "MiniMyth install was successful"

6. I put the stick in the AOpen Cube and boot from it and get "Boot error" message.

Can someone help me troubleshoot this please?

Thanks!

brickb

Post by brickb » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:07 pm

Hi, I am following the exact same steps as described above and am also getting the "Boot Error" msg when trying to boot.

One additional piece of info for my setup: for some reason my frontend BIOS is detecting the USB device as a "USBZIP" device and not a IDEHDD that I was expecting.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

jangi
Contributor

Post by jangi » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:14 am

Minimyth is only a mythtv frontend. Even if you get it to successfully boot off a USB stick (or anything else) you will still need the backend software on another computer.

equeorto

Post by equeorto » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:34 pm

Hi,
exactly same problem here
i have tested automatic and manual local install on usb stick to boot
all file on usb stck seems good
i have a /conf/default/minimyth.conf
kernel
rootfs
syslinux.cfg
ldlinux.sys
version and md5 file
html and themes directory

in my syslinux i have same name for kernel and roots as name of file in usb stick

DEFAULT minimyth

LABEL minimyth
KERNEL kernel
APPEND ro root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=96000 initrd=rootfs

boot on usb stick is ok but syslinux can' find kernel , always default option , could not find kernel image linux (don't speak about name on syslinux.cfg so i think syslinux.cfg seems not used) .

i have tested to do a /boot directory with boot file , and /boot/syslinux directory with boot file inside ===> same problem

i have tested on more one pc ====> same problem
i have tested 2 versions of syslinux same problem

for sure i do something wrong and it's probably a stupid error from me .

thank's a lot for help