Need Modeline for NTSC on EPIA-EN

Help with booting MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

BobLHead

Need Modeline for NTSC on EPIA-EN

Post by BobLHead » Mon May 19, 2008 7:26 am

My last minimyth box, EPIA-SP8000, cooked itself after 2 years so I replaced it with an EPIA-EN12000. I'm just connecting to a plain, old NTSC television and cannot get X to display properly. It looks like I'm trying to watch one of those old scrambled cable channels. I've installed the latest minimyth with no apparent effect.

I remember getting the SP to work was similarly a pain, but after some brute force (trying every resolution available from the Xorg log), I finally got one to display. That's not working with the EN.

There's got to be a more sane way of going about this. If minimyth is loading correctly and displaying correctly right up to the point Xorg starts, what's the systematic way to figure out how to properly configure X? Googling modelines and rebooting isn't getting me anywhere. :(

BobLHead

Update: Found mode, but now X crashes.

Post by BobLHead » Mon May 19, 2008 6:29 pm

I found a mode that seems to produce a stable picture, but then X crashes immediately. 720x480Over and 720x480Fit both seem to produce stable pictures, but then X crashes. X boots, shows the standard X grey weave screen with the X cursor in the middle. This displays for under a second and then X crashes. No (EE) messages or other hint in the logs, the logs just stop.

BobLHead

Update: Didn't find mode.

Post by BobLHead » Tue May 20, 2008 11:15 pm

X wasn't crashing, mythfrontend was. Needed to update backend to .21. Now that works, but the TV out, it turns out, is still screwed up. It seems openchrome only supports 4 NTSC modes and none of them work. It does not allow custom modelines. (See: http://wiki.openchrome.org/tikiwiki/tik ... page=TVOut)

Looks like the only thing to do is to try and get the via proprietary drivers up and running. Anybody done *that*?

Pablo
Site Admin

Re: Update: Didn't find mode.

Post by Pablo » Tue May 20, 2008 11:34 pm

BobLHead wrote:X wasn't crashing, mythfrontend was. Needed to update backend to .21. Now that works, but the TV out, it turns out, is still screwed up. It seems openchrome only supports 4 NTSC modes and none of them work. It does not allow custom modelines. (See: http://wiki.openchrome.org/tikiwiki/tik ... page=TVOut)

Looks like the only thing to do is to try and get the via proprietary drivers up and running. Anybody done *that*?
The VIA proprietary drivers do not support XvMC-VLD. Therefore, you will not have hardware acceleration in Myth, MPlayer, or Xine.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

BobLHead

No help from proprietary either?

Post by BobLHead » Wed May 21, 2008 1:56 am

The VIA proprietary drivers do not support XvMC-VLD. Therefore, you will not have hardware acceleration in Myth, MPlayer, or Xine.
Things just keep getting better... :x

Pablo
Site Admin

Re: No help from proprietary either?

Post by Pablo » Fri May 23, 2008 6:58 am

BobLHead wrote:
Things just keep getting better... :x
Sad. Isn't it

Boards based on VIA hardware held great promise. Unfortunately, VIA's lack of support for Open Source drivers has caused this hope to be somewhat unrealized.

I had a VIA EPIA ME6000, VIA EPIA SP8000E and a Commell LV-667. Sadly, the support for the VT1625 and the support for HDTV hardware decoding never materialized. As a result, I gave away much of my VIA hardware, keeping only the VIA EPIA SP8000E (I had no friends that needed it and it makes a good test platform for MiniMyth).
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

BobLHead

But how do I do it?

Post by BobLHead » Sat May 24, 2008 5:05 pm

Seriously, though. How do I replace the openchrome drivers with unichrome? I'm assuming I'd have to use a minimyth.script file to download and install the unichrome binary (which I previously downloaded from viaarena) and then MM_X_FETCH_XORG_CONF to point X at the new driver.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Sun May 25, 2008 4:45 pm

Sorry, I do not know any easy way to change the driver.

BobLHead

X driver binaries?

Post by BobLHead » Mon May 26, 2008 2:38 am

Pablo wrote:Sorry, I do not know any easy way to change the driver.
Any chance you could build the X drivers for me? It'd save me several days' effort getting a cross compile build environment up and running. Once I've got the binaries I'd be happy to post how to get them installed and running.