Problems Booting 0.21.0-52

Help with booting MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

stoge

Problems Booting 0.21.0-52

Post by stoge » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:46 pm

ALL,

I have downloaded the latest minimyth build and have had no luck at all with booting. I am running the nfs-minimyth.0.21.0-52. Both DHCP and PXE are setup properly because I can get to the MythTV Boot page and then it stops half way through. I guess the two questions I have so I can more successfully troubleshoot my own problem is:

1-What is absolutely needed in the minimyth.conf file? Although it seems that everything had a default if it was not specified, minimyth still wants some inputs.

2-Where in the heck is the /var/log/minimyth.err.log? It surely does not exist in my backend root FS and it doesnt exist in my NFS root FS for minimyth. I want to look at the errors, but cannot find where the log is?!!

Help is greatly appreciated as I have spent countless hours on this and have not gotten anywhere.

SToGE

Pablo
Site Admin

Re: Problems Booting 0.21.0-52

Post by Pablo » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:05 pm

stoge wrote:ALL,

I have downloaded the latest minimyth build and have had no luck at all with booting. I am running the nfs-minimyth.0.21.0-52. Both DHCP and PXE are setup properly because I can get to the MythTV Boot page and then it stops half way through.
When you say "the MythTV Boot page", do you mean the splash screen that says "configuring MythTV ..." or something else?
I guess the two questions I have so I can more successfully troubleshoot my own problem is:

1-What is absolutely needed in the minimyth.conf file? Although it seems that everything had a default if it was not specified, minimyth still wants some inputs.
It depends on how much MiniMyth can autodetect or get from some place else. However, at a minimum, you need to configure one of MM_X_OUTPUT_DVI, MM_X_OUTPUT_VGA or MM_X_OUTPUT_TV.
2-Where in the heck is the /var/log/minimyth.err.log? It surely does not exist in my backend root FS and it doesnt exist in my NFS root FS for minimyth. I want to look at the errors, but cannot find where the log is?!!
/var/log/minimyth.err.log is on the frontend. You can access the frontend though either the virtual console or telnet: http://minimyth.org/document-use.html#access. Once you are in, you can use cat, more or vi to view the /var/log/minimyth.err.log file.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

stoge

Post by stoge » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:15 pm

The blue splash screen that only says mythTV and has a status bar at the bottom which tells you the variables it is loading and in my case failing on. It tells me "error: check '/var/log/minimyth.err.log' for details."

Okay. I was able to get into my frontend via telnet to view the log. Other than setting the variables it is complaining about, anything else look suspicios to you??

minimyth@192:/var/log $ more minimyth.err.log
error: 'TCode' (or 'MM_DHCP_TCODE') not configured.
error: 'Domain Name Servers' (or 'MM_DHCP_DOMAIN_NAME_SERVERS') not configured.
error: 'NTP Servers' (or 'MM_DHCP_NTP_SERVERS') not configured.
error: 'MM_THEME_NAME' must be set.
error: 'MM_THEMEOSD_NAME' must be set.
error: 'MM_THEME_NAME' is not set.
error: 'MM_THEMEOSD_NAME' is not set.
error: check '/var/log/minimyth.err.log' for

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:24 pm

Nothing else looks supiciios. After you make the changes to your minimyth.conf and (optionally) your DHCP server, please post any additional problems that you have.

Also, I will change the boot splash screen so that it displays the same information that is logged to /var/log/minimyth.log/err (and /var/log/minimyth.warn.log) so that it easier to troubleshoot problems without telnetting into the frontend.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

stoge

Post by stoge » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:47 pm

Okay. I got past all errors and am now failing at Xorg. The frontend Xorg logs says:

(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.0.log", Time: Sun Jun 1 15:42:59 2008
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(**) Option "defaultserverlayout" "Layout1"
(**) ServerLayout "Layout1"
(**) |-->Screen "Screen1" (0)
(**) | |-->Monitor "Monitor1"
(**) | |-->Device "Device_openchrome"
(**) |-->Input Device "Mouse1"
(**) |-->Input Device "Keyboard1"
(**) Option "AllowMouseOpenFail" "true"
(**) Option "XkbDisable" "false"
(**) Option "BlankTime" "0"
(**) Option "StandbyTime" "0"
(**) Option "SuspendTime" "0"
(**) Option "OffTime" "0"
(**) Option "NoPM" "true"
(**) Option "Xinerama" "false"
(**) Option "AIGLX" "false"
(==) Automatically adding devices
(==) Automatically enabling devices
(**) Xkb enabled
(WW) xf86ReadBIOS: Failed to open /dev/mem (Permission denied)
(==) FontPath set to:
/usr/lib/X11/fonts/TTF,
/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc
(==) RgbPath set to "/usr/share/X11/rgb"
(**) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
(II) Loader magic: 0x8180004
(II) Module ABI versions:
X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.3
X.Org Video Driver: 2.0
X.Org XInput driver : 2.0
X.Org Server Extension : 0.3
X.Org Font Renderer : 0.5
(II) Loader running on linux
(II) LoadModule: "pcidata"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libpcidata.so
(II) Module pcidata: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 1.4.0.90, module version = 1.0.0
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 2.0
(++) using VT number 2

Fatal server error:
xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open virtual console 2 (Permission denied)

(WW) xf86CloseConsole: KDSETMODE failed: Bad file descriptor
(WW) xf86CloseConsole: VT_GETMODE failed: Bad file descriptor

stoge

Post by stoge » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:50 pm

Oh...and I don't think it is a terrible way of reading the error log by logging into the frontend. I guess making it easier for the newby user to know he has to do that would be sufficient.

Thanks for your help with all of this, I can't wait to get this thing up and running. :twisted:

stoge

Post by stoge » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:11 pm

I did read the post titled "Can't Start X, Can't figure out why. Plz Help!!" and yes I did untar using root.

????

SToGE

stoge

Post by stoge » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:13 pm

Pable,

Any clues? I am still stuck on this issue after a few days of finding a solution?

Your help is appreciated.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:35 pm

Did you extract the NFS file system as the user root?

If not, then you could be having a permissions issue.

stoge

Post by stoge » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:41 pm

Well, I d/l your latest version and I am no longer stuck on this issue. I am now looking into why I am seeing

"no more process left in this run level"

during the start of X.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:14 pm

If you are still getting

Code: Select all

(WW) xf86ReadBIOS: Failed to open /dev/mem (Permission denied)
then it could be an extraction permissions issue.

If you telnet in as user 'minimyth' and run 'xinit', then you can see the output in the telnet window.