booting problems with fresh install

Help with booting MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

yannack

booting problems with fresh install

Post by yannack » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:12 pm

Hello,
I have just downloaded the 0.21.0-53 version of minimyth. I am trying to get it to boot over the network, and have configured the pxelinux properly (i think). However, when i look at the tftp log, I see that the minimyth box is asking for /conf (I put the pxelinux.0 directly in /tftpboot/) and not for /tftpboot/conf/default/minimyth.conf like it should. I tried creating a minimyth.conf file renamed to "conf" and put in /tftpboot/, which seems to work, but I am guessing this is not the normal procedure... could anybody help me out on this please? thanks!

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:32 pm

Could you post your full tftpboot directory structure?

Also, could you post your DHCP server and PXELinux configuration files?
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

yannack

Post by yannack » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:04 pm

Here are the relevant sections of my dhcpd.conf:

Code: Select all

option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.1;
default-lease-time 600;
max-lease-time 7200;
authoritative;

host mythtv_backend {
  hardware ethernet 00:14:0B:3E:15:92;
  fixed-address 192.168.129.1;
  option subnet-mask 255.255.240.0;
  option routers 192.168.128.1;
  next-server 192.168.128.2;
  filename "pxelinux.0";
}

host minimyth_box {
  hardware ethernet 00:14:0b:3e:c3:57;
  fixed-address 192.168.129.3;
  option subnet-mask 255.255.240.0;
  option routers 192.168.128.1;
  next-server 192.168.129.1;
  filename "pxelinux.0";
}
here is the default in /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/

DEFAULT minimyth-ram

LABEL minimyth-ram
	KERNEL bzImage-test-ced
	APPEND ro root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=96000 initrd=rootfs-test-ced
and here is the architecture of /tftpboot/

- bzImage-test-ced
- conf
- pxelinux.0
- rootfs-test-ced
+ pxelinux.cfg
+ themes

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:37 pm

I set up my configuration files and directory structures to match yours, except that my minimyth.conf file is conf/default/minimyth.conf rather than conf.

For me, everything boots fine. The TFTP server logs show a request for the file /conf/myth-parents/minimyth.conf (which is NAKed since the file is in default) followed by a request for the file ilename /conf/default/minimyth.conf.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

sglow

Post by sglow » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:33 am

I've just updated from version 20-21 to 21-56 and I'm seeing exactly the same problem.

Any ideas on what may be causing this?

Thanks,
Steve

sglow

Post by sglow » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:25 pm

I spent a little time debugging this and found a work-around. Here's what I think is going on:

It seem that the init script that downloads the main config files tries twice, first with a host specific config file name that it builds up from environment variable settings, then with the default location.

I didn't have a host name set at all, so the first attempt to download the config file used an invalid name. The name may have simply been 'conf', I'm not 100% sure about this. Had this download failed, the default name 'conf/default/minimyth.conf' would have been used and this would have succeeded.

The strange thing is, the first attempt seems to have succeeded. I tried telnetting into the minimyth box and using the tftp client there to download a file named 'conf' and was able to successfully do so, even though there isn't a file named conf in the tftp root of the server. There is a directory by that name.

Apparently when I try to use the busybox tftp client to download a file from my server which has the same name as a directory, I successfully download an empty file of that name. I assume that this is a bug in either the tftp client, server or both.

Since most people don't seem to have this problem with minimyth, it may be a problem with the tftp server that I'm using. My server uses the atftpd server from the Ubuntu 8.04 distribution. There is another server available (tftpd-hpa). I picked the one I did pretty much at random and kept it since it seemed to have worked. I'm not sure if a different server would have avoided this problem.

Anyway, the work around was to simply add a host name to my dhcp server. Once I did that the first download attempt fails because the name of the config file it's now trying to grab doesn't match a directory. Once this fails it successfully downloads the config file from the default location and everything continues on normally.

Rgds,
Steve