No picture on TV after starting X on Epia EX, using DVI

Help with booting MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

dumb

No picture on TV after starting X on Epia EX, using DVI

Post by dumb » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:24 am

Hi,
I'm booting minimyth from USB and it seems to work fine, until X is started. Then my TV turns blank. If I connect to the client, using VNC from another computer, I get the MythTV frontend. So it seems like that everything is started as i should. But why does my TV turn blank, when X is started? When I power on the client, the TV shows all the minimyth loading. But as i said, when it starts X, it just turns blank.

The TV is connected to an Epia EX motherboard throug a DVI - HDMI cabel.
And part of my minimyth.conf file is here:
##########
MM_X_OUTPUT_DVI='auto'
MM_X_MODE='800x600'
MM_X_TV_TYPE='PAL'
########

Any clues any one??

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:51 am

I suspect that the openchrome driver does not support the DVI output correctly.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

maynard

Post by maynard » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:54 am

I have HDMI video working but not audio. In the bios of my motherboard there is a video output option that allows CRT+HDMI or HDMI only. If I select CRT+HDMI I get the same results you get. If I select HDMI only then it works correctly. I don't know if that is the same problem you have but I've been farting around with Minimyth for a couple of weeks now and just finally have an almost working system.....At least it is fun playing around with this stuff!!

dumb

Post by dumb » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:56 pm

Hi,
thanks for the fast reply. I've been doing some more research and yes, the openchrome driver doesn't support DVI out on the cx700M2 chipset. Though some people have had success using the randr branch. Maybe I should look into how to compile and include drivers from the randr branch in minimyth...some one made a how-to???

But for now, I've switched to S-Video, and this gives me some response on my TV, though it is barely watchable, it's flickering heavily in blue and red colors, got any idea why? My xorg.conf looks like this:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
HorizSync 30 - 50
VertRefresh 50.0 - 50.0
EndSection
Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "openchrome"
Option "ActiveDevice" "TV"
Option "TVType" "PAL"
Option "TVOutput" "S-Video"
EndSection