Realtek RTL8111/8168B DHCP problem

Help with booting MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

mkoller

Realtek RTL8111/8168B DHCP problem

Post by mkoller » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:10 pm

Hi all,
I'm currently building a frontend based on the INTEL D945GCLF2 mainboard, which uses the RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (according to lspci)

I have set it up to boot over the network, which works fine.
However in the stage where minimyth starts the DHCP client, it stops doing nothing any longer.

I read that the current stable minimyth version minimyth-0.21.0-58 with kernel 2.6.23 has problems with the r8169, so I tried also with minimyth-0.21.0-59b2 ... same problem.

But I can boot from the openSuse 11.0 Live CD, which uses the 2.6.25.5 kernel and the nic works without any problem.

Anything else I can try ?
Martin

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:08 pm

Both versions 58 and 59b2 use the 2.6.23 kernel.

I will build the next test build (59b3) with the 2.6.25 kernel. Hopefully, the newer version of unionfs will not oops with the 2.6.25 kernel as the older one did.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

mkoller

Post by mkoller » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:27 pm

Don't know but you probably should already try the latest kernel version 2.6.26.5.
Martin

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:00 pm

mkoller wrote:Don't know but you probably should already try the latest kernel version 2.6.26.5.
Yes, that would be ideal.

However, the 2.6.26 kernel requires a newer NVIDIA driver. Unfortunately, the newer NVIDIA driver has DPMS problems.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

mkoller

Post by mkoller » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:19 pm

Can I simply compile my own kernel and use the rootfs from minimyth ?
I'd like to give a new kernel a try without having to rebuild all user space apps.
Martin

mkoller

Post by mkoller » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:55 pm

[quote="Pablo"]
I will build the next test build (59b3) with the 2.6.25 kernel. Hopefully, the newer version of unionfs will not oops with the 2.6.25 kernel as the older one did.[/quote]

Hey, you rock!
With (59b3) the nic works!
Martin

ddmcse

DHCP hangs Realtek RTL8111/8168B

Post by ddmcse » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:42 pm

I have this hang issue . both cards are built in
Description: ‎RTL-8110SC/8169SC Gigabit Ethernet
Description: ‎RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
I'm using the latest stable minimyth and i think i've tried the latest test
stops at starting dhcp .
i have 7 of these suckers and really would like them to fly after tons of hair pulling to find something that would work on the 2g CF drives

ddmcse

Re: Realtek RTL8111/8168B DHCP problem

Post by ddmcse » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:22 pm

ok I'm back on the project and I've discovered that the gig nic works and i get past the waiting for dhcp screen , now I'm really close .
stuck on" can't find minimyth.conf ". I'm writing to a 2 g CF card. I'm following the local boot install method , I just don't get it . is the minimyth conf file supposed to come from the server or is it supposed to be on the CF ? I am familiar with LTSP but I'm not sure if I'm booting of the network or off the CF card . I'm exporting the minimyth.conf file . I've done the automated install several times trying to figure out where the .conf files goes i.e. mm_install .sda or mm_install /conf or mm_install /home/ddunn/minimyth/conf/default . can someone explain what I don't get ?
ideally I want to boot and run off the CF card in my mini itx box , I've used different boxes that boot off the server and it works fine but recorded programs are a little skippy , live TV plays ok , it's only a 10/100 connection and I've run some cat 6 (yet to be tried) to see if that makes any difference but so far I'm not happy with a net boot so I'm thinking maybe the CF local boot would be better . suggestions ? comments
thanks.

Pablo
Site Admin

Re: Realtek RTL8111/8168B DHCP problem

Post by Pablo » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:19 pm

ddmcse wrote:ok I'm back on the project and I've discovered that the gig nic works and i get past the waiting for dhcp screen , now I'm really close .
stuck on" can't find minimyth.conf ". I'm writing to a 2 g CF card. I'm following the local boot install method , I just don't get it . is the minimyth conf file supposed to come from the server or is it supposed to be on the CF ? I am familiar with LTSP but I'm not sure if I'm booting of the network or off the CF card . I'm exporting the minimyth.conf file . I've done the automated install several times trying to figure out where the .conf files goes i.e. mm_install .sda or mm_install /conf or mm_install /home/ddunn/minimyth/conf/default . can someone explain what I don't get ?
ideally I want to boot and run off the CF card in my mini itx box , I've used different boxes that boot off the server and it works fine but recorded programs are a little skippy , live TV plays ok , it's only a 10/100 connection and I've run some cat 6 (yet to be tried) to see if that makes any difference but so far I'm not happy with a net boot so I'm thinking maybe the CF local boot would be better . suggestions ? comments
thanks.
I assume by mm_install, you mean mm_local_install. The first argument of mm_local_install is the path to the directory that contains the conf directory. In your case, that would be '/home/ddunn/minimyth/'.

You can boot with everything on the CF card, including the configuration. However, you need to remember that guesses the location of the {boot} directory (i.e. the directory that contains the conf directory). If your DHCP server provides the bootp filename, then MiniMyth guesses that you are network booting and will look for the conf file on the TFTP server. Otherwise, MiniMyth will assume that you have a local partition with the label minimyth, which MiniMyth will mount as /minimyth and expect to find the conf directory /minimyth/conf