startup hang with 0.21.0-59b3

Help with booting MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

mkoller

startup hang with 0.21.0-59b3

Post by mkoller » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:43 pm

Hi,
I'm using 0.21.0-59b3 which solved my DHCP hang on the realtek card.
However the startup now hangs in the phase "processing configuration file" and init tells me "no more processes left in this runlevel"

The only uncommented lines in the config file are:
MM_X_OUTPUT_VGA='auto'
MM_THEME_NAME='G.A.N.T'
MM_THEMEOSD_NAME='Titivillus-OSD'

The problem is: although I can ping the frontend, I can not login via telnet (Connection refused).
Is there a way to have a local login ? I think this would really be helpful (or to start the telnetd earlier).

The machine does still "live" as I can use the keyboard and with Ctrl-Alt-Del I can reboot it normally where minimyth tells me "stopping X, ... rebooting" (funny thing is: I did never see the X mouse cursor - or is there none?)

I also tried to define MM_DEBUG=yes as kernel parameter, but this does not change anything (which means: I do not see any debug output at all, but I remember that I got some output with either 59b2 or with 58)

Any ideas ?
Martin

goldwein
Contributor

Post by goldwein » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:13 pm

You need to add
MM_INIT_TYPE=sh
to the APPEND boot line.

For example:
APPEND ro root=/dev/ram0 initrd=latest/rootfs MM_DEBUG=yes ramdisk_size=96000 MM_INIT_TYPE=sh
Note that according to the changelog:
Deprecated sh init scripts
- Made perl init scripts the default.
- Deprecated 'minimyth.script'.
- Users will need to convert from 'minimyth.script' to 'minimyth.pm'.
- After release 59, support for the sh init scripts and 'minimyth.script' will be removed.
Hopefully, Pablo will provide some example minimyth.pm scripts in the documetation?

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:54 pm

The documentation included in the 59b3 image includes an example under

Code: Select all

http://{frontend-name/ip}/document-configure.html#minimyth_pm
and

Code: Select all

http://{frontend-name/ip}/conf/minimyth.pm
They will be pushed to the main web site once I make another stable release.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

Glidos
Contributor

Post by Glidos » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:00 pm

goldwein wrote:You need to add
MM_INIT_TYPE=sh
to the APPEND boot line.

For example:
APPEND ro root=/dev/ram0 initrd=latest/rootfs MM_DEBUG=yes ramdisk_size=96000 MM_INIT_TYPE=sh
I'm confused. I had the same problem: the hang with "Processing configuration script..." displayed on screen, and "INIT: no more processes in runlevel" flashing up. I used MM_INIT_TYPE=sh, expecting it to allow me to log in, and instead it cured the hang.

Can someone explain? I'm using the same nfs share to boot two frontends, and I get this problem only on one.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:58 pm

Glidos wrote:
goldwein wrote:You need to add
MM_INIT_TYPE=sh
to the APPEND boot line.

For example:
I'm confused. I had the same problem: the hang with "Processing configuration script..." displayed on screen, and "INIT: no more processes in runlevel" flashing up. I used MM_INIT_TYPE=sh, expecting it to allow me to log in, and instead it cured the hang.

Can someone explain? I'm using the same nfs share to boot two frontends, and I get this problem only on one.
MiniMyth has two sets of init scripts: old set written in sh and new set written in perl. I decided to convert the init scripts from sh to perl because the sh init scripts were becoming increasing difficult to maintain. Using a full fledged scripting language makes the scripts easier to maintain.

Unfortunately, no all the bugs have been worked out of the perl init scripts. While I tested them on my systems, others have different configurations that expose other bugs.

The default set of init scripts are the perl init scripts. However, which set of init scripts is used can be controlled by including either MM_INIT_TYPE=sh or MM_INIT_TYPE=perl on the boot line.

The latest stable build (60) has several perl init script fixes. Therefore, could see whether or not it works without MM_INIT_TYPE=sh on your boot line?
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

Glidos
Contributor

Post by Glidos » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:19 pm

Thanks Pablo, I get it now. I'll try build 60 when I get a chance, and if that doesn't fix it, perhaps I can help track down the problem.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:01 pm

Glidos wrote:Thanks Pablo, I get it now. I'll try build 60 when I get a chance, and if that doesn't fix it, perhaps I can help track down the problem.
Thank you for being willing to test. Could you wait a bit. Thanks to another post related to MM_DHCP_HOST_NAME, I found another problem. I have fixed it and checked in the change. It will be in the next test build (61b1). I will post to this thread when I have uploaded it.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:57 pm

I have uploaded 0.21.0-61b1.

Glidos
Contributor

Post by Glidos » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:31 pm

Sorry Pablo, I just tried 0.21.0-61b5 and I still have the hang if I don't specify MM_INIT_TYPE=sh.

This is not of any concern for me at the moment, but please let me know if there are tests you'd like run and information you'd like gathered.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:38 pm

Where is it hanging (what is the message on the screen)?

Glidos
Contributor

Post by Glidos » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:12 pm

It hangs in the phase "processing configuration file", with "no more processes left in this runlevel" flashing up for a moment.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:59 pm

Can you PM me your minimyth.conf, your minimyth.pm (assuming you are using one), your PXE boot config file and your /etc/dhcpd.conf file (assuming you are using the ISC DHCP server)?

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:03 pm

Thank you for PMing me the information. Unfortunately, I have not been able to reproduce the problem.

Glidos
Contributor

Post by Glidos » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:20 pm

I think it may be hardware specific. I have one frontend that gives the problem and another that doesn't

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:29 pm

Glidos wrote:I think it may be hardware specific. I have one frontend that gives the problem and another that doesn't
Are the pxelinux.cfg, dhcpd.conf and minimyth.conf configurations the same for the hardware that succeeds and the hardware that fails?

What is the hardware that fails?