configuring video

Help with booting MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

emlsnws
Contributor

Post by emlsnws » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:42 am

Me too. Changed back to MM_INIT_TYPE=sh and boot completed ok.

However, the minimyth.script didn't appear to run, although the log messages said it did. If I would have run my lcd type would have been set correctly, and it wasn't.

Although, I'm happy for now with a booted FE with a few mounts missing.

Incidentally when I used MM_INIT_TYPE=perl and MM_DEBUG=yes but I only got a short minimyth.log containing audio mixer information - nothing else. I wonder if this is a different problem or related.

Thanks,
Simon.
Backend: AN7-Guru w/Athlon XP-M 2400+ running FC8 and Mythtv SVN 17450
Frontend1: EPIA M10000 running Minimyth pre-built
Frontend2: MSI K7N2 (MS-6777) Athlon running Minimyth 66b5, Antec Fusion Black, VGA to Scart PAL

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:19 pm

emlsnws wrote:Me too. Changed back to MM_INIT_TYPE=sh and boot completed ok.

However, the minimyth.script didn't appear to run, although the log messages said it did. If I would have run my lcd type would have been set correctly, and it wasn't.

Incidentally when I used MM_INIT_TYPE=perl and MM_DEBUG=yes but I only got a short minimyth.log containing audio mixer information - nothing else. I wonder if this is a different problem or related.

Thanks,
Simon.
What version are you running?
What are the contents our you minimyth.script file?
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

emlsnws
Contributor

Post by emlsnws » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:00 pm

Hello Pablo,

It's my build 60b3 that I built myself.

I will cross-ref you to this thread where there already are the details: http://minimyth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1999

Looking at Google Code, there were a few minimyth svn versions where MM_INIT_TYPE=sh was removed. I guess that 60b3 was one of those?

Thanks,
Simon.
Frontend2: MSI K7N2 (MS-6777) Athlon running Minimyth 66b5, Antec Fusion Black, VGA to Scart PAL

YuChem

Post by YuChem » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:49 am

Thank you,
Pablo wrote:If you switch from the perl init scripts to the sh init scripts, does the problem go away (You can do the switch by added MM_INIT_TYPE=sh to your boot line)?

If it does, then the problem is likely somewhere in the new perl init scripts.
switching to sh script fixed the problem, now the system starts up fine. Do you need anything else to help fix the script?

Please let me know.

Y
MiniMyth running on Intel Atom D945GCLF + Logitech Z-10 audio

emlsnws
Contributor

Minimyth svn r3960

Post by emlsnws » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:09 pm

Hi Pablo,

I'm building r3960 now. I noticed that under Google Code you have up-issued recently to revert to unionfs 2.5 and also made some changes to xinit to get mythfrontend to log into syslog.

Also I'm keen to check out this change "Added autodetection of the iMON LCD device identified by idVendor=0x15c2 and idProduct=0x0038." since that's what I have.

It will be after the weekend when I can report what I find.

Simon.

argusalverde

same problem - but only changed backend

Post by argusalverde » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:33 am

this may be a complete coincidence but I'm seeing the same behavior (hang on boot at configuring video). I'm running Pablo's test load 59b. I updated my backend (ubuntu) with an apt-get and now my frontend doesn't boot.

I was fooling around with my sql database and um made such a mess of it that I apt-get removed the backend and then re-installed. Nothing worked until I found this thread (it's been a frustrating evening.)

It boots if I use the MM_INIT_TYPE=sh on the boot line. Is this crazy?

Argus

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:04 pm

YuChem wrote:Thank you,
Pablo wrote:If you switch from the perl init scripts to the sh init scripts, does the problem go away (You can do the switch by added MM_INIT_TYPE=sh to your boot line)?

If it does, then the problem is likely somewhere in the new perl init scripts.
switching to sh script fixed the problem, now the system starts up fine. Do you need anything else to help fix the script?

Please let me know.

Y
Thank you for the offer to help. Could you try the latest stable release (-60) without MM_INIT_TYPE=sh on the boot line? It has several perl init script fixes.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

scooter

Post by scooter » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:12 am

I tried the latest stable -60 release.

*love* the error messages displayed on the screen!

I removed "MM_INIT_TYPE=sh" from my boot options and rebooted.
That lead to the following problems (some, understandably)

error: 'minimyth.conf' is out of date. 'MM_MINIMYTH_FETCH_MINIMYTH_SCRIPT' is obsolete.
error: 'Host Name' (or 'MM_DHCP_HOST_NAME') not configured.
error: check '/var/log/minimyth.err.log' for further details.

So I commented out the line for the fetch script, it only mounts
directories that hold all my videos ;).

I also don't understand the MM_DHCP_HOST_NAME errors as I clearly
have "MM_DHCP_HOST_NAME='minimyth'" in my minimyth.conf file.

I rebooted and still got the dhcp error, so I added the MM_INIT_TYPE=sh
back and now the dhcp host name part works.

So the end result is I'm not getting the original "configuring video" error now.

Scott

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:29 pm

scooter wrote:error: 'minimyth.conf' is out of date. 'MM_MINIMYTH_FETCH_MINIMYTH_SCRIPT' is obsolete.
error: 'Host Name' (or 'MM_DHCP_HOST_NAME') not configured.
error: check '/var/log/minimyth.err.log' for further details.
There appears to be a bug in the perl package Sys::Hostname that causes it to fail when the host name is set after the package is loaded. This causes a problem in MiniMyth::hostname because it uses Sys::Hostname::hostname. I have modified MiniMyth::hostname so that it calls /bin/minimyth instead, which appears to solve the problem. This change will be in the next test build (61b1).
So I commented out the line for the fetch script, it only mounts
directories that hold all my videos ;).
You should be able use the recently added MM_MEDIA_GENERIC_LIST to accomplish this.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:06 pm

I have uploaded 0.21.0-61b1.

emlsnws
Contributor

Post by emlsnws » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:15 pm

emlsnws wrote:
Me too. Changed back to MM_INIT_TYPE=sh and boot completed ok.

Thanks,
Simon.

What version are you running?
What are the contents our you minimyth.script file?
Sorry if it appears I have not answered. I have been out of town, but before I went I posted in some other threads that I had fixed by startup problems by using /etc/rc.d.sh/functions and not the (non-existent) /etc/rc.d/functions.

I will stick with my 60b3 build for now and look into the LCD imperfection I mentioned. I expect an up-issue of lirc will have to occur to sort that out.

as always will post on this fourm when there's news,
Simon.

YuChem

Post by YuChem » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:53 am

Pablo wrote: Could you try the latest stable release (-60) without MM_INIT_TYPE=sh on the boot line? It has several perl init script fixes.
Tried r. 60 and 61b1 , both fail the same 'configuring video ...'. xorg config contains infamous @NVIDIA_TRUE@ . Again, same version works on my another Intell frontend with no issue at all.
Last edited by YuChem on Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
MiniMyth running on Intel Atom D945GCLF + Logitech Z-10 audio

scooter

Post by scooter » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:04 am

0.21.0-61b1 fixed the dhcp errors. I was able to remove the MM_INIT_TYPE=sh
and boot fine. I'm going to convert my .sh scripts next to see if I can
find any other problems.

Thanks for the fixes!

scooter

Post by scooter » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:25 am

And I just finished converting my scripts to the new .pm
format and all is working well with that.

My scripts aren't complex, just simple NFS mounts.

Scott

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:03 pm

YuChem wrote:
Pablo wrote: Could you try the latest stable release (-60) without MM_INIT_TYPE=sh on the boot line? It has several perl init script fixes.
Tried r. 60 and 61b1 , both fail the same 'configuring video ...'. xorg config contains infamous @NVIDIA_TRUE@ . Again, same version works on my another Intell frontend with no issue at all.
Could you provide me with a cut-and-paste of your minimyth.conf and pxe boot configuration file? Also, if you are using a Linux based DHCP server, could you provide that as well. Please do not retype anything as I want to be able to recreate exactly what you have.

In addition, could you tell me whether or not the the following command works

Code: Select all

mm_command mythdb_settings_print