2 boot error

Help with booting MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

frbaresi

2 boot error

Post by frbaresi » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:23 pm

Hy
I'm a newbie with minimyth.
I'm trying to boot from a USB pen. I've followed the manual install tutorial, but when i try to i get the message " could not find kernel image:linux"
If i use 'mkfs.vfat -F 16 -n minimyth /dev/sdb1' , when i boot the usb pen, the system loads the 'kernel' and loads the 'rootfs', but i got the message :
"Decompressing Linux....Parsing ELF...done
Booting the kernel
Kernel panic-not syncing:VFS:Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (1,0)"

my sylinux.cfg file:
"DEFAULT minimyth-ram

LABEL minimyth-ram
KERNEL kernel
APPEND ro root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=96000 initrd=rootfs
"

Thanks

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:46 pm

That usually happens when rootfs has been corrupted. I have noticed in the past that copying files on to flash is not always reliable.

If you run md5sum on rootfs both your hard drive and on the flash drive, do you get the same value?
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

frbaresi

Post by frbaresi » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:57 pm

Thanks for the help
I think I haven't get what you're trying to say. I ran md5sum on the directory that contains the files that i've directly download from the minimyth site . I also ran md5sum on the directory where the flash was mounted. After that, I used 'cat' to see the obtained file's content. The content is equal.

frbaresi

Post by frbaresi » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:01 am

what can I do to get the rootfs uncorrupted?

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:50 pm

frbaresi wrote:what can I do to get the rootfs uncorrupted?
Sorry, I do not know.

What motherboard are you using? Have you been able to boot other distributions from the USB pen drive? The reason that I ask is that I have had some motherboards that claim they can boot from USB, but I could never get them to do it reliably. For those motherboards, I added a CF-to-IDE converter and booted from compact flash.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

frbaresi

Post by frbaresi » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:57 am

Thanks. Now I'm using a virtual machine and I have no problems