Move from unpartitioned CF card to partitioned CF [SOLVED]

Help with booting MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

kb27

Move from unpartitioned CF card to partitioned CF [SOLVED]

Post by kb27 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:39 pm

Hi,

I have had a happily working minimyth install on a local CF card for some time (21.0-58). I've since installed a second harddisk (with the CF as secondary drive), and since then minimyth has not worked.

I am currently booting of the CF card which I partitioned and formatted the partition as FAT32, labelled minimyth. Copied back the once working install, and installed grub as the boot loader. I've had the following problems and managed to resolve them as follows, but I'm stuck on the final one:

1. Grub unable to recognise partition - Ensured labelled as FAT32
2. Minimyth partition not mounted - Ensure labelled as minimyth & boot from CF card
3. Error message - "error: mount of 'MM_THEME_URL=hunt:themes/G.A.N.T.sfs' failed" - added MM_THEME_URL and MM_THEMEOSD_URL as 'file:/minimyth/themes'
4. Theme doesn't seem to load properly, and frontend crashes along with X, no error messages in any logs and leaves me at login prompt

The only difference as far as I can see from the working config is the change in format of the CF card (now has partition table) the addition of the second drive. I'm utterly stumped as to what the problem is, I'll continue to play, but any thoughts / advice would be most welcome :-)

Cheers
Kevin

kb27

Post by kb27 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:38 pm

Ok, found out what the problem(s) were:

1. I had two partitions with the name minimyth, this seemed to confuse the living daylights out of minimyth, which seemed to arbitarily mount one or the other.

2. Themes had previously "just worked" i.e. hunt:/themes/G.A.N.T.sfs worked, these now need to be specified using:

Code: Select all

MM_THEME_URL="file:/themes/G.A.N.T.sfs"
MM_THEMEOSD_URL="file:/themes/defaultosd.sfs"
Now got dual booting frontend with a full xubuntu install on the other harddisk for tinkering / web usage etc. :-)

Cheers
Kevin