database schema mismatch -- boot fail.

Help with booting MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

robertclemens

database schema mismatch -- boot fail.

Post by robertclemens » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:30 pm

I have just installed Mythbuntu 9.04 Jaunty as my master backend + frontend. Henceforth known as [new].
I had previously a Mythbuntu 8.10 installation handling the job. Henceforth known as [old].

I had tftp pxe booting Minimyth on the [old] setup and setup a similar system for the [new] backend.

I wanted to try a much newer version of Minimyth than I had originally had. I have several options
installed for tftp booting in my pxe config but have opted for trying ram-minimyth-trunk.21210-69.tar.bz2
as of this moment.

When I boot up, I get the database schema is outdated on the backend and needs updating. It is 27 versions
behind.

I have a feeling I know the answer to this problem but am going to address the options and see what people say.
I would prefer to leave speculation out of the mix and resolve the issue at hand as I have more than one option.

The first option that would be nice but sadly I'm afraid not going to work is to upgrade the Mythbuntu 9.04 database
schema up to the newest version which would allow Minimyth to use it. Would this break my setup? I'm unfamiliar with
the database developers and their methods and would speculate that there are many additional tables and possibly some
columns added in. If that were the case such an upgrade would probably work. If they have moved, shifted, deleted, or
modified tables and their data, this would most likely destroy my setup as workable. Next would be the location of the precise
database modifier to upgrade to this schema if this option were viable or even worth a try (backing up the old database firstly).

The next and far more simple option is to locate a version of Minimyth that may accompany Mythbuntu 9.04 furthest on the development
line. I'm unable to find documentation or forum posts that address the release point in which Minimyth stops following Mythbuntu data
schemes.

Any help would be appreciated. I can't wait to get my Minimyth setups back in order.

jack
Contributor

Re: database schema mismatch -- boot fail.

Post by jack » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:43 am

Your thinking is almost correct. You need to use a Minimyth running the same version of Myth as your back-end server. I'm not familiar with Mythbuntu so I cannot tell you what version it runs. So you either need to upgrade the Myth backend software (which should then automatically upgrade your database schema version) or downgrade the version of Minimyth you are using.

robertclemens

Post by robertclemens » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:47 am

Right. That's pretty much exactly what I said.

1) Upgrade backend until the schema matches minimyth's svn point for database schema.
2) downgrade to a minimyth that matches the database schema on mythbuntu 9.04.

I don't have any information or any known links (I've browsed minimyth's download area as much as I could)
as to what version to get and where it's located.

The only other question I threw out there was if I could actually leave my mythbuntu backend as it is and only
upgrade the database schema without it killing off functionality to mythbuntu.

jack
Contributor

Post by jack » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:57 pm

No, the database schema must be the correct version corresponding to the versions of the backend and front-end you are using.

The current stable Minimyth uses MythTV 0.21.0 with fixes through SVN 21185
The changelog file in the Minimyth distribution should let you know what version of Myth is in each Minimyth release.

The backend I am running is 0.21 with SVN 16838. I'm not certain that you can use a 0.21 trunk build with the current minimyth.

robertclemens

Post by robertclemens » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:34 pm

I think I'm understanding you correctly but may not be expressing myself in correct terms.
I did fix the problem with your advice. I was using the minimyth test builds and decided to
give stable a try and that worked on the first boot.

ram-minimyth-0.21.0-69

Just gotta nfs my poster directory over and then my posters will load for videos and its done.

I appreciate the help!

--
Robert Clemens