Problem mounting DVD rip space

Help with booting MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

rjch

Problem mounting DVD rip space

Post by rjch » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:21 pm

Just today I've tried getting DVD ripping working from my frontend. I've added the following line to minimyth.conf to mount the DVD rip space:-

Code: Select all

MM_MEDIA_DVD_RIP_URL="nfs:/nas/mnt/lvm/myth/dvd"
This mountpoint can be mounted just fine from other machines on the network and the permissions were set up identically to that of my videos which are held on the same server. However, when the machine boots, I get the dreaded "init failed. check /var/log/messages..." message. The messages log doesn't reveal any extra information. However, when I try manually mounting the NFS share, I get the following:-

root@mythfr1:/var/log # mount nas:/mnt/lvm/myth/dvd /mnt/dvd
mount.nfs: rpc.statd is not running but is required for remote locking
   Either use "-o nolock" to keep locks local, or start statd.
I'm running 0.21.0-70b6 at present. I haven't tried the final release of 70 yet since I didn't spot anything obvious in the changelog that would appear to address this issue. Any clues as to where the problem may lie?

Pablo
Site Admin

Re: Problem mounting DVD rip space

Post by Pablo » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:04 pm

If you use

MM_MEDIA_DVD_RIP_URL="nfs:/nas/mnt/lvm/myth/dvd?nolock"
then does it work?
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

rjch

Post by rjch » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:17 pm

No. /var/log/messages shows the same message that doesn't really tell me anything.

Nov  4 02:12:37 (none) local0.err minimyth: '/mnt/dvd' failed to mount.
Nov  4 02:12:37 (none) local0.info minimyth: init failed. check '/var/log/messages' for further details.
...however if I mount the share manually with -o nolock (something I really should have tried before!) it mounts fine with full read/write privileges.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:48 pm

Does the user minimyth (as identified by uid/gid) have read/write access to the directory being mounted?
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

rjch

Post by rjch » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:05 am

Yes. The directory's ownership is nobody.video, and the mythtv user is in the video group. Read/write access was confirmed when I manually mounted the NFS share. I was able to create and remove files and directories.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:01 am

I am not able to reproduce the problem.

In a earlier post, the command prompt indicated that you were manually mounting it while logged in as the user root.

If you mount it as while logged in as the user minimyth, then can you still read/write as the the user minimyth?

rjch

Post by rjch » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:33 am

I can't mount the partition as minimyth ("only root can do that"), but if I mount the partition as root and then su to minimyth, I have write permission to the mounted folder.

I'll upgrade to the latest version and try again...

[edit]

0.21.0-71 exhibits the same problem.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:11 am

I just noticed that in your original post

MM_MEDIA_DVD_RIP_URL="nfs:/nas/mnt/lvm/myth/dvd"
However, it should be

MM_MEDIA_DVD_RIP_URL="nfs://nas/mnt/lvm/myth/dvd"
assuming that nas is the name of your server.