Can't make bootable minimyth ram version USB CF Reader

Help with booting MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

windswept321

Can't make bootable minimyth ram version USB CF Reader

Post by windswept321 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:54 am

I have been trying to install the ram version of minimyth onto a compact flash card using a belkin usb cf reader and ubuntu.

After running the "mm_local_install" and following the prompts I eventually get a success message but the card, when used through an ide to cf adaptor, can't boot. The Epia board (and the ubuntu pc) don't see the boot loader.

Running cfdisk /dev/sdb gives " FATAL ERROR: Bad primary partition 0: Partition begins after end-of-disk" and gparted gives errors too.

I have tried this with a few cards (256mb and 512mb) and also with the nfs version but always get the same problem.

Thanks

bogstad

Re: Can't make bootable minimyth ram version USB CF Reader

Post by bogstad » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:13 am

It sounds like you have a disk geometry problem. Under Linux, USB storage devices are typically accessed via the SCSI software subsystem. I believe that the SCSI subsystem provides a 'fake' disk geometry where there is always 255 heads and 63 sectors per track and only the number of cylinders changes. IDE which derives it's programming interface from the older ATA/RLL/MFM hardware is more likely to vary all three values. You are creating your disk image under one geometry model and then attempting to use it in a different model. Some variants of fdisk let you specify the sector/track information rather then reading it from the disk. Figuring out what the IDE to CF adapter wants and specifying it while using the USB to CF adapter might solve this problem. I haven't done this myself, so report back here if it works so others can learn from your experience.