problems mounting CIFS share with MM_MEDIA_VIDEO_URL

Help with booting MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

guitarist

problems mounting CIFS share with MM_MEDIA_VIDEO_URL

Post by guitarist » Wed May 19, 2010 5:50 pm

Hey all,

I've been using Mythtv for years, but only recently decided to try a diskless frontend. So after much coaxing, I've gotten nearly everything I wanted working. I am kinda stuck on one thing though, I am trying to use MM_MEDIA_VIDEO_URL to mount a share from my mythbackend, but it doesn't want to connect. Here's the line I'm using in my minimyth.conf:

MM_MEDIA_VIDEO_URL="cifs://${MM_TFTP_SERVER}/storage"

No errors regarding any mounts show up in /var/log/messages, but df does not show it mounted either. when I run mount -t cifs //192.168.0.x/storage /mnt/video -o username=server/minimyth,password= though, it mounts just fine.

Help?

tsjoender
Contributor

Re: problems mounting CIFS share with MM_MEDIA_VIDEO_URL

Post by tsjoender » Thu May 20, 2010 8:54 am

The CIFS share requires a username and password (ie no public share)? In that case you may need this format:

Code: Select all

MM_MEDIA_VIDEO_URL="cifs://${MM_TFTP_SERVER}/videos?username=*,password=*"

guitarist

Post by guitarist » Thu May 20, 2010 11:24 pm

It worked! Thank you! I'd been beating my head over that one for a while now, but it wouldn't have been a problem if I'd only known what the syntax was for adding in a username/password... The howtos were a little lacking in that dept.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Thu May 27, 2010 2:36 pm

guitarist wrote:It worked! Thank you! I'd been beating my head over that one for a while now, but it wouldn't have been a problem if I'd only known what the syntax was for adding in a username/password... The howtos were a little lacking in that dept.
If you have some suggestions on how to improve the documentation in this area, that would be great. I am not very good a writing documentation for others. For example, when learning C, I found the C language definition in the back of "K&R" much more helpful than the C language tutorials/examples in the rest of "K&R", yet most find the tutorials/examples more useful.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.