mythfrontend segfault on boot [nfs-minimyth-0.24.1-77]

Help with booting MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

tsarath

mythfrontend segfault on boot [nfs-minimyth-0.24.1-77]

Post by tsarath » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:07 am

Hello, after running Minimyth 0.21 nfs happily for over 2 years, my BE server RAID failed a few weeks ago taking along my Minimyth config. Hence I've been patiently reconstructing what I had running previously and decided to upgrade at the same time. I've managed to get MythTV 0.24.1 BE running under 2.6.18-238.12.1.el5.centos.plus and have spend all day today trying to get the Minimyth FE to work correctly with no luck so far.

I'm using nfs-minimyth-0.24.1-77 with a vanilla minimyth.conf file and the system boots, starts to load X and goes screen goes blank. I found out what's going on after messing around for a bit, here's the culprit.

Code: Select all

mythfrontend[2364]: segfault at 64007b ip b620c3f6 sp bfa39f00 error 4 in libQtCore.so.4[b6178000+1aa000]
I tried this with a few different themes, as it occurs during theme loading I think, but it occurs consistently. Just to be paranoid I deleted the whole minimyth directory, reinstalled from scratch, same issue. also tried the ram image, same issue. I did managed to manually start X/mythfrontend via the console but bootup just doesn't work. I would have tried a less bleeding edge version but prior 0.24 builds don't seem to be available, and I really don't want to downgrade by BE server from 0.24, any suggestions?

Anyone else run into anything similar or is this because of some weird hardware/X11/Qt issue? My hardware is a M3N78-VM with integrated Nvidia 8200 GPU.

I have the Xorg.0.0.log and dmesg outputs if that's any help. Would really appreciate some help.

Thanks

Tony

Pablo
Site Admin

Re: mythfrontend segfault on boot [nfs-minimyth-0.24.1-77]

Post by Pablo » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:35 pm

Odd. I have the same motherboard and I do not have the problem.

What is the output of

cat /proc/cpuinfo
What themes have you tried?

What painter are you using?

What is the output of

mm_command mythdb_settings_print
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

tsarath

Post by tsarath » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:46 am

Pablo wrote:Odd. I have the same motherboard and I do not have the problem.

What is the output of

cat /proc/cpuinfo
What themes have you tried?

What painter are you using?

What is the output of

mm_command mythdb_settings_print
Here is the proc and mm_command outputs. I've tried the following themes: default, Terra, MythCenter and metallurgy. Happens to all so I don't think it's due to a specific theme. To get it to work from the console I start "X" and then run "mythfrontend -O ThemePainter=qt" and after some time it finally starts. Not sure how I can determine the painter at startup though.

Is there a more elegant way to do this upon startup?

I have left minimyth.conf pretty sparsely populated also with just the following;
  • MM_VIDEO_ASPECT_RATIO='16:9'
    MM_VIDEO_DEINTERLACER='auto'
    MM_X_OUTPUT_DVI='auto'
    MM_MASTER_SERVER='192.168.1.12'
    MM_MASTER_DBUSERNAME='xxx'
    MM_MASTER_DBPASSWORD='xxx'
    MM_MASTER_DBNAME='mythconverg'
    MM_THEME_NAME='Terra'
Not sure if the lack of more specific details is causing an issue, but I don't want to start customizing it further when the default doesn't boot.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:08 am

Well, you and I have the same motherboard and the same processor, so I am thinking that it might be old settings in the database.

If you run

mm_command mythdb_settings_delete
followed by

reboot -f
then does it work with your minimal minimyth.conf?

For what it is worth, here is my minimal minimyth.conf for the same system connected to my a/v receiver using spdif and to my 1080p television using hdmi:

MM_AUDIO_TYPE='digital'
MM_VIDEO_ASPECT_RATIO='16:9'
MM_X_OUTPUT_HDMI='auto'
MM_X_MODE='1920x1080'
MM_THEME_NAME='MythCenter-wide'
MM_MYTHDB_SETTINGS_MenuTheme='MenuTheme~defaultmenu'
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

tsarath

Post by tsarath » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:11 pm

That worked!! thanks Pablo. I didn't realize Minimyth stored any other configuration (in mysql?) as that was the only backup I managed to recover from my old setup. Whatever it was, all the themes also work now.

X takes about 1m 37s to startup however, I'm hoping specifying some modeline parameters for my TV to stop X11 doing a comprehensive search may help here. I've noticed in general the newer version takes *much* longer to boot, old setup tool less than a minute or so. It takes 1:39 to get to "starting X" and then a further 1:41 for the theme menu to fully come up. I'm hoping further optimizations like getting the themecache setup etc will bring this down significantly as 3:20+ is a while to wait for bootup. Appreciate any tips here where possible.

Different issue however, bootup works! Thanks Pablo for maintaining this great package, as mentioned I've been a Minimyth user since late 2008 and have been very pleased with it throughout.

Cheers

Tony

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:19 pm

MythTV's mythfrontend stores settings in multiple tables in the mythconverg database. The "mm_command mysqldb_settings_delete", removes all the entries from the settings table in mythconverg database that are associated with the MiniMyth machine on which you run it. While there are still entries in other database tables associated with the machine, the entries in the settings table can be the most problematic.

Those boot times are way too long. From computer reset to mythfrontend menus is just under 60 seconds on my system. I suspect there is some problem happening with database communication as MiniMyth communicates with the database during its init sequence (which slow down getting to the point where X starts) and mythfrontend communicates with the database when it starts (which would slow down X).

tsarath

Post by tsarath » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:50 pm

Ok, that makes sense. It didn't occur to me the restored database from 0.21 could cause problems as I had lost all other configurations and hence was assuming a new install. I guess I should either toast the old mythconverg db or perhaps try go through an upgrade scenario. At one point Minimyth did try and upgrade the schema version so perhaps this was not fully successful which could be the source of my problems. Let me try an upgrade as it's managed to preserve all my old recordings (different disk to the RAID that failed) and schedules which would be handy to keep.

Thanks

Tony

mikesaturday

Post by mikesaturday » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:47 am

thanks for the info.