Booting from HDD?

Help with booting MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

tv-newbie

Booting from HDD?

Post by tv-newbie » Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:19 am

Hi,

I have searched the forums and either I am using the wrong terms, or there are no how-tos / step by step on how to boot mini myth from an internal hard disk.

I have a EPIA M10000 and would like to create a self contained system which allows me to watch / record TV, etc.

I am not an expert at linux (if I was, I will not be asking this I guess :wink: ) but am not afraid of the command line either. Any help rendered will be appreciated. 8)

lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:14 am

Well, it should be straight forward, though I have not tried it. I would use Syslinux as your boot loader and basically do what I did to get it to boot from cdrom (minus the mkisofs and cdrecord).

good luck,
Larry

tv-newbie

Post by tv-newbie » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:44 am

Would it be possible to use grub as a bootloader? I am already using it and have a couple of other linux versions running on the system currently.

lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:48 am

I dunno. Give it a try!

Larry
Last edited by lmatter on Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tv-newbie

Post by tv-newbie » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:01 am

Thats what I am trying to do / looking for help on. :P

lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:21 am

ok, I got this working too. It's dead simple.

Just copy the kernel and rootfs to your /boot partition (or whereever you put that stuff) and edit your /boot/grub/grub.conf file. Here's mine - I tacked on everything from "title MiniMyth" on down:

#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.724_FC3)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.724_FC3 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.724_FC3.img
title Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img
title MiniMyth (0.5.1)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /bzImage ramdisk_blocksize=4096 ramdisk=42000 vga=785 LIRC=haup-hb2 MYTHSERVER=192.168.1.140 TIMESERVER=207.126.98.204
initrd /rootfs-0.5.1

When this system boots up just select minimyth; it starts up lightning fast. I don't really know grub so this may not be optimal but it works.

Larry

merv

Post by merv » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:14 am

lmatter wrote:ok, I got this working too. It's dead simple.

Just copy the kernel and rootfs to your /boot partition (or whereever you put that stuff) and edit your /boot/grub/grub.conf file. Here's mine - I tacked on everything from "title MiniMyth" on down:

#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.724_FC3)

..deleted...

title MiniMyth (0.5.1)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /bzImage ramdisk_blocksize=4096 ramdisk=42000 vga=785 LIRC=haup-hb2 MYTHSERVER=192.168.1.140 TIMESERVER=207.126.98.204
initrd /rootfs-0.5.1

When this system boots up just select minimyth; it starts up lightning fast. I don't really know grub so this may not be optimal but it works.

Larry
I heard about this site a few hours ago and at first glance looked like it might be just the thing I wanted. However the more I delve into it the more I wonder. I want to try the distro on a partition of my hard drive, using the existing Grub in the MBR. I suppose I could go and buy a flash drive but the things that confuse me now, would still confuse me. This message spurred me on for a HD install.

I have followed the advice in the Install instructions for a manual - Ram system.
The partition has one directory, /boot with the kernel and rootfs files and two subdirectories, Themes and conf.
But when it comes to the config files, I am kinda stumped. I have created the conf directory in /boot and I gather it needs 2 sub directories, conf and conf.-rw.

Where I get the xorg.conf and initrc files is a mystery. I see the minimyth.conf and minimyth.script files in the archive, what do I do with them? I feel like such a dummy when all you users have been able to get this working...

I see the kernel config options and that I can supply the static address for my backend Myth server, but what is the TIMESERVER option? With no gateway or DNS's for the internet, can't be an ntp server ?

Any help would be appreciated or just tell me to go away cuz minimyth won't do this..

Cheerio
Merv Curley
Toronto, On. Can

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:10 pm

merv wrote:I heard about this site a few hours ago and at first glance looked like it might be just the thing I wanted. However the more I delve into it the more I wonder. I want to try the distro on a partition of my hard drive, using the existing Grub in the MBR. I suppose I could go and buy a flash drive but the things that confuse me now, would still confuse me. This message spurred me on for a HD install.

I have followed the advice in the Install instructions for a manual - Ram system.
The partition has one directory, /boot with the kernel and rootfs files and two subdirectories, Themes and conf.
But when it comes to the config files, I am kinda stumped. I have created the conf directory in /boot and I gather it needs 2 sub directories, conf and conf.-rw.

Where I get the xorg.conf and initrc files is a mystery. I see the minimyth.conf and minimyth.script files in the archive, what do I do with them? I feel like such a dummy when all you users have been able to get this working...

I see the kernel config options and that I can supply the static address for my backend Myth server, but what is the TIMESERVER option? With no gateway or DNS's for the internet, can't be an ntp server ?

Any help would be appreciated or just tell me to go away cuz minimyth won't do this..

Cheerio
Configuration files are put in a sub-directory of the '/conf' directory named for the hostname of your frontend. That is, if your frontend has the hostname 'myth-livingroom', then its configuration files need to be put in the directory '/conf/myth-livingroom'.

The only configuration file that you should need to get started is 'minimyth.conf'. Other configuration files are only needed when you need to customize beyond what 'minimyth.conf' can do.

The '/conf-rw' directory is used by MiniMyth to cache files across reboot. It is not required, but can be useful. The user would never put configuration files in '/conf-rw'.

MiniMyth is not designed to work without a DHCP server. If the network has a correctly configured DHCP server, then none of the DHCP overrides are necessary. However, some DHCP servers are either crippled or incorrectly configured. These DHCP override variables were added to override missing or incorrect values from the DHCP server. To date, no DHCP server has served up the wrong subnet mask or gateway, so there are no overrides for them. The TIMESERVER optoin is a very old name of that override option. It has been replaced by MM_DHCP_NTP_SERVERS. Also there is MM_DHCP_DNS_SERVERS for overriding the DNS servers.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.