minimyth 0.25.0-80 (and 81b5) take a very long time to start

Help with booting MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

JoeHenley
Contributor

Re: minimyth 0.25.0-80 (and 81b5) take a very long time to s

Post by JoeHenley » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:30 pm

Hi,

I'm having a similar problem; it takes a VERY long time to boot. In my case, once it does boot, moving between menues is also VERY slow -- but only going "down" into menues, coming back "up" is at normal speed.

Giada MI-ION2 mobo, 525 Atom CPU, nvidia video GT218
2GB ram
FC 16 and MythTV 0.25.2-287.fc16.i686 (from ATRPMS) on BE
MM 0.25.2-81 (NFS) on FE

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Joe Henley

notfred

Post by notfred » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:26 pm

rjch wrote:I finally had the thought to turn on debugging messages to see where it might be hanging in the boot sequence. Rather than capturing the log, here's a photo of the screen:-
The little spinner is where the kernel stops for a minute or two.
Yup, I see exactly the same thing by adding "debug" to the boot line. It looks like the loading of the squashfs initrd into the ramdisk is a lot slower in the version of the kernel in 0.25.2-81 than it was in the kernel version that was in 0.24.2-79. On my system it's taking 3 minutes to load in the just shy of 128MB image. I've verified it's the kernel and not the initrd encoding by trying an old kernel with a new initrd and a new kernel with an old initrd. It's the new kernel that makes the initrd load slowly in to memory.

I've briefly googled some terms like "squashfs ramdisk slow" but can't find anything briefly. I haven't had a chance to start going through the kernel source changes between the two versions to see what has changed in this area and whether the regression has already been reported. My Internet link is currently down (Bell Canada are messing with my ISP) so will not get a chance to look in to this in more detail before next weekend.

JoeHenley
Contributor

Post by JoeHenley » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:26 pm

Hi,

Well, I've had some success.

On the issue of the extreme slow booting, I found that the renderer and deinterlacer (and related) selections are the key. That doesn't make sense to me and I still haven't figured out why. But it does work MUCH better (20 to 25 minute boots down to 3 to 4 minutes).

My mobo has an on-board nVidia ION2 (aka 218) chip. In MM ver 0.23.1, I used:
Video Playback Profile: Minimyth
Decoder: vdpau
Max CPU: 4
Video renderer: vdpau
OSD renderer: vdpau
Primary deinterlacer: Advanced (1x Hw)
Fallback deinterlacer: None
vdpau color space = ""
In MM ver 0.25.2, I use:
Video Playback Profile: VDPAU Normal
Decoder: NVidia VDPAU acceleratioin
Max CPU: 4
Video renderer: vdpau
OSD renderer: vdpau
Primary deinterlacer: Temporal (2X, HW)
Fallback deinterlacer: Temporal (1X, HW)
vdpau color space = auto

On the subsequent issue of very slow menues, I don't have an answer yet. Right now I'm looking at NFS problems as the possible cause. I noticed my (ethernet) switch near the FE was always very busy. tcpdump showed alot of activity for "getattr". Googling that shows alot problems in that area, so I'm working thru it. Also, others in this thread were having NFS issues. I'll post back when/if I have a solution.

Joe Henley

notfred

Post by notfred » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:36 pm

With the very slow copying of the initrd during kernel startup, I found it was related to the amount of RAM in the box. I upgraded from 1GB to 2GB and it is near instantaneous through that part where it took 3 minutes before.