Starting X - EPIA M10000

Help with booting MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

rsdvd

Starting X - EPIA M10000

Post by rsdvd » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:42 pm

Hi All

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to to get my EPIA M10000 working.

I have the PXE working fine, and the EPIA is pulling the ram-minimyth-0.20-20 filsystem from my tftp server and booting fine.

However, when it gets to the 'starting x' part, it starts X in that you see cross mousepointer then it resizses the elements of the Theme into the themecache.

Then it flashes and returns to a single text cursor in the top left corner.

I have checked the logs via telnet and there is no obvious error messages.

I had to create my own minimyth.conf, as there was not one in the ram-minimyth download, so I guess i have made a mistake in there. So if anyone can point me to a work example minimyth.conf I woudl appreciate it.

system : EPIA M10000 conencted via s-video to PAL CRT TV.

Thanks in advance

Phil

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:17 pm

Could you post your minimyth.conf?

If you telnet into the minimyth frontend and type 'ps', is X running?

Does /var/log/Xorg.0.log on the frontend show anything wrong?
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

rsdvd

Post by rsdvd » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:22 pm

Hi

Thanks for the quick reply!

my minimyth.conf is here (http://www.paste.me.uk/318.html).

as you will see the majority of it is comment out.

as far as I can tell X is not running

Phil

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:51 pm

I am not sure that MM_THEME_NAME='default' will work, because I am not sure that the MythTV theme 'default' can actually be displayed. Have you tried setting it to some other theme?
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

rsdvd

Post by rsdvd » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:56 pm

I orginally had it set to G.A.N.T. but then it demanded a MM_THEME_URL......in the docs it said that default was an option.

Set to default it goes through and finds a theme that it then caches, so I think that bit is proabably working.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:37 pm

rsdvd wrote:I orginally had it set to G.A.N.T. but then it demanded a MM_THEME_URL......in the docs it said that default was an option.

In the past, 'default' was a valid vaule, but not in the current release http://linpvr.org/minimyth/document-minimyth_conf.shtml#MM_THEME_NAME. The change was made when the themes were separated from the rootfs image.

If you have the themes directory that came with the MiniMyth distribution in the same directory as your rootfs file on your TFTP server, then it should find the G.A.N.T. theme without you needing to provide a URL.
Set to default it goes through and finds a theme that it then caches, so I think that bit is proabably working.

Like I said, I am not sure whether or not it works. When I get home, I will set up my minimyth.conf to match yours and see what happens.

rsdvd

Post by rsdvd » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:54 pm

thank you for the push in the right direction!

It was indeed the themes that were stopping it startig X, I have now added the themese directory and set it to use GANT and it not gets to the main menu.

However I now have another problem (although I supopse I should move this out of Booting). When I choose either Live TV or to watch a recording the system hangs. I can nolonger telnet in to see the error logs and the screen remains blank.

Without the error logs I have no idea what is causing it......any advice would be appreciated.
Phil