Booting 0.20-20 from flash: configuration file not found.

Help with booting MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

DrsDre

Booting 0.20-20 from flash: configuration file not found.

Post by DrsDre » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:04 pm

While trying to get a MiniMyth on CF setup, I can not seem to get the configuration loaded. Every boot ends with 'error: MiniMyth configuration file not found. daemon.info init: no more processes left in this runlevel'. My flash has been setup according to the mm_local_install script. There is no DHCP setup done nor do I have a TFTP available.

First of all if I specify my local 'conf' directory, it seems it does not copy these configuration files to the flash. I would have expected /conf/default/minimyth.[conf/script] structure on the flash, but unfortunately.

When I copy this manually, it still doesn't find a configuration. From /var/log/messages I see it mounts the minimyth dir too late (?):

Dec 16 19:11:19 (none) auth.notice portmap[651]: Only binding to LOOPBACK address!
Dec 16 19:11:19 (none) local0.info minimyth: starting telnet ...
Dec 16 19:11:20 (none) local0.info minimyth: loading kernel modules (automatic) ...
Dec 16 19:12:22 (none) local0.info minimyth: processing configuration ...
Dec 16 19:12:22 (none) local0.err minimyth: error: MiniMyth configuration file not found.
Dec 16 19:12:22 (none) daemon.info init: no more processes left in this runlevel
Dec 16 19:13:23 (none) local0.info minimyth: created mount point '/minimyth'.
Dec 16 19:13:23 (none) local0.info minimyth: mounted device '/dev/hdc' at mount point '/minimyth'.

Does anyone have a solution how to solve this (without tweaking the DHCP server)?

joostvdl

Post by joostvdl » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:32 pm

I have the same problem here with a disk-on-module (directly connected to the IDE port)

tjh

Post by tjh » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:49 am

Same exact problem using a 2GB CF card on PCMCIA and the latest stable.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:09 am

It appears that some machines are taking longer than others to mount the /minimyth partition. I think that the best thing do to is to change the init script so that it waits for the /minimyth directory to mount whenever DHCP does not provide a boot file. I will include this in the next test release.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

joostvdl

Post by joostvdl » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:10 pm

Great

Can you post here the changed code maybe? I also work with the GAR build. So than I can change this in my GAR.

Thanks

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:22 pm

joostvdl wrote:Great

Can you post here the changed code maybe? I also work with the GAR build. So than I can change this in my GAR.

Thanks
The changes have been checked into SVN, so if you are building the latest SVN version then you should have them.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

tjh

Post by tjh » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:43 pm

I just tried the new test release, b4, and am still getting the same configuration file not found error. Anyone else try this and get better results?

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:35 am

tjh wrote:I just tried the new test release, b4, and am still getting the same configuration file not found error. Anyone else try this and get better results?
What is the output of 'cat /etc/conf.d/core' and 'cat /etc/conf.d/dhcp'?

Does the directory /minimyth exist?

tjh

Post by tjh » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:43 pm

How do I get to a shell? I tried ctrl-alt-F1,2,etc. but that didn't work.

As for the /minimyth partition, yes it is there. It might just be that it is on a PCMCIA->CF adapter. Is ATA support compiled in the kernel for PCMCIA devices?

If not would it be possible to put the minimyth.conf file on a disk, say a CD or Floppy? I'll try that later tonight if I get a chance. (I know that somewhat defeats the purpose of a diskless frontend, but just for testing)

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:34 am

tjh wrote:How do I get to a shell? I tried ctrl-alt-F1,2,etc. but that didn't work.
Telnet in. There are two users: root and minimyth. Neither user requires a password.

In addition, you can access the entire file system through the web interface.

As for the /minimyth partition, yes it is there. It might just be that it is on a PCMCIA->CF adapter. Is ATA support compiled in the kernel for PCMCIA devices?[/quote]
Oops. My mistake for not reading your previous post closely. MiniMyth does not have PCMCIA support.
If not would it be possible to put the minimyth.conf file on a disk, say a CD or Floppy? I'll try that later tonight if I get a chance. (I know that somewhat defeats the purpose of a diskless frontend, but just for testing)
I have never tried using either, but they might work. You may want to include the themes directory on the disk as well. Otherwise, you will not have any Myth themes.

pdaly

DMA

Post by pdaly » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:43 pm

I discovered a problem while trying to get theme caching to work from a compact flash card. When saving the theme, at first it wouldn't save. Once it did, the file was either corrupt or could not be read correctly.

I added ide=nodma to the kernel parameters, redid everything, and it worked just fine.

I'd be curious if that helps the problem here. Pablo may know enough about the root cause to know if it's related or not.

Anyway, my 2 cents. Maybe be completely unrelated.

-Pete

guillaume

Post by guillaume » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:10 pm

Hi,

I have the same problem. I use a CF to ide adapter.
<4>hda: SanDisk SDCFH-1024, CFA DISK drive
I just tried 0.20-22b8 and it fixes the problem, thanks pablo.
Here is the last lines of dmesg :
<6>hda: max request size: 128KiB
<6>hda: 2001888 sectors (1024 MB) w/1KiB Cache, CHS=1986/16/63, DMA
<6> hda:<4>hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x21
<4>hda: DMA timeout error
<4>hda: dma timeout error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
<4>ide: failed opcode was: unknown
<4> unknown partition table
<4>hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x21

It seems that it is the dma which causes trouble. Is there any reason why dma is activated for ide devices ?
I tried to append ide=nodma or nodma to the boot line options but no effects :( same problem.

output of /etc/conf.d/core if it helps
PATH='//sbin://bin://usr/sbin://usr/bin://usr/lib/qt/bin://usr/local/sbin://usr/local/bin'
MM_VERSION='0.20-22b8'
MM_VERSION_MYTH='0.20'
MM_VERSION_MINIMYTH='22b8'
MM_CONF_VERSION='1'
MM_KERNEL_IMAGE='kernel'
MM_ROOTFS_IMAGE='rootfs'
MM_ROOTFS_TYPE='squashfs'

Any advices ?

Is it possible to try to mount /minimyth earlier in order to reduce boot time ?

pdaly

Error looks similar

Post by pdaly » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:15 pm

That looks like the errors I was getting when my themecache was being loaded, although they flew by too fast to really read.

-Pete

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:08 pm

guillaume wrote:It seems that it is the dma which causes trouble. Is there any reason why dma is activated for ide devices ?
DMA on IDE interfaces is needed for smooth DVD playback.
Is it possible to try to mount /minimyth earlier in order to reduce boot time ?
How would mounting /minimyth earlier speed up booting?

guillaume

Post by guillaume » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:13 pm

I think it would speed up booting because the config script wouldn't have to wait too long for /minimyth to be available.