Jetway J7F2 & J7F4 Series

Ask for hardware advice here

Moderator: Pablo

meph137

Jetway J7F2 & J7F4 Series

Post by meph137 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:37 pm

Has anyone used these motherboards with minimyth? They look appealing for the price and features. Apparently they have MPEG2 & 4 decoding acceleration which I assume is going to make a 1.2ghz cpu fast enough to decode quite high bitrate compressed video quite well?

I'm thinking of buying one but want to make sure they work with minimyth, they have standard VIA components as far as I can tell

from jetway's site:

CN700 Northbridge + VT8237RP Southbridge Chipsets Chipset (MCP51G))
Embedded VIA C7 Processor with 21 mm NanoBGA2

Any advice would be great, thanks :)

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:44 pm

What do you want in terms of connections for audio and video?

It appears the the neither have s/pdif connectors for digital audio, and only the J7F2W has either composite or s-video connectors for video.

The CN700 should work fine for SDTV but not for HDTV.

It would be good to know what TV encoder chip is used on the J7F2W. While the support for th VT1622 and VT1623 is good, the support for the VT1625 is still under active development.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

meph137

Post by meph137 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:04 pm

ok - heres my setup:

I have a backend & frontend, using Terrestrial DVB on the backend (SDTV though, not HDTV, may possibly use HDTV in the future but dont worry abotu that yet).

Frontend connected to backend via 10/100 ethernet.

frontend is a to be connected to a HDTV via VGA running at 1366 x 768. Audio is to be handled by a dolby 5.1 amp - input can be either via SPDIF or Coax, or by 6 channel analog.

Not sure if any other info is needed? Let me know if it is.

EDIT:
Any ideas for a mini-itx which would suit HDTV?

EDIT #2:

Have been looking around for more potential candidates, and have been a little confused about what exactly I'm going to need. It seems that most VIA boards have at least MPEG2 acceleration, while the SP has full decoding. Also only one other appears to have MPEG4 acceleration, which is the EX. I will most likely want to at some point put movies on my MythTV box that have been encoded in some form of MPEG4 based codec such as Xvid - I'm not sure if MythTV (or MiniMyth) actually supports playing xvid encoded content or would I have to transcode? If I have to transcode to a format native to MythTV then I presume MPEG4 is not of any importance to me, however if this is not the case it would most likely be beneficial.

The SP incidentally also have digital out via the coaxial cable which is nice. Problem with it is to get a decent CPU speed I'd need to get the fanless version. Also it costs quite a lot when compared to the jetway boards (as my budget is about

Glidos
Contributor

Post by Glidos » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:04 pm

Pablo wrote:What do you want in terms of connections for audio and video?

It appears the the neither have s/pdif connectors for digital audio, and only the J7F2W has either composite or s-video connectors for video.

It would be good to know what TV encoder chip is used on the J7F2W. While the support for th VT1622 and VT1623 is good, the support for the VT1625 is still under active development.
That's interesting. I'm looking at using a J7F2WE1G2E board, just for SD playback. It has CN700, 8237RP, VT1622A. Am I safe to assume that, 4 years on from when the above was posted, minimyth will support these chips better than then, if anything? (I'm just checking in case something like VIA's stance on opensource has led to a loss of support).

I've had my backend running for some time now, and I'm itching to build the frontend. I just need to find a motherboard which is not likely to fight back too much.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:21 am

The post is about 1.5 years old (my registration is about 4 years old). Anyway, it should work.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.