network adapter issues on EPIA M

Ask for hardware advice here

Moderator: Pablo

lmatter
Contributor

network adapter issues on EPIA M

Post by lmatter » Thu Aug 28, 2003 6:17 pm

I am starting a general thread for problems with the network adapter. It seems to be hitting many people (including me).

There are threads on viaarena and probably other boards (like mini-itx.com and linitx.org) but in case anyone wants to discuss it here, please use this thread.

Feel free to post links to other threads on other forums with suggested workarounds.

Thanks,
Larry

bigA

Post by bigA » Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:53 pm

Here is a link to some of the things I have done.

http://www.onegeeksopinion.com/mt/archives/000021.php

I have also noticed that when I was running with only 128mb I was having problems, but with 256 it seems ok.

Cheers...
------------------------------------------
We Live to Survive our Paradoxes!

Hairlocks
Contributor

Post by Hairlocks » Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:46 pm

This is causing me big problems, on the first boot it's fine, the second/thrid boot the keyboard stops working, and a few reboots later the network card stops working.

The earth wire has helped and the bios is already verion 1.0f so I may try the capacitor.

What I don't like is all the volts are a little low reported by the BIOS. I may try an find an old universal Transformer I have lying around somewhere and see if that works. Has anyone else tried changing the power brick?

lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter » Sat Aug 30, 2003 5:59 pm

I hooked up a big-honkin capacitor yesterday and that seems to have solved the problem - though I have only restarted three times since then (update: I have not had a problem since then, many weeks now).

I bought a 4700uF 35V Electrolytic cap from Radio Shack ($6 us). Probably overkill but they didn't have anything in a 16V.

I hooked up the minus lead to the black wire and the plus lead to the white wire just before the internal power regulator thingee. I unplugged the connector from the internal components and I actually wore safety glasses in case the cap decided to explode. Then I plugged in the external powerbrick and ... no sound, no smoke :D . So I hooked everything up and the system started. It seems to be running fine.

I didn't do any other mods, such as extra grounding wire or the bios.

Usually disclaimers about doing this at your own risk apply, of course.
Last edited by lmatter on Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hairlocks
Contributor

Post by Hairlocks » Sat Aug 30, 2003 6:25 pm

I have gone to the extreme with the earth wire thing. I have got a wire going from my case, and connected to a real earth. which seems to have solved my problems, but I have been as agreesive on the rebooting recently!

paul

Post by paul » Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:30 am

Hi,

Just for info, I managed to fix my network/power issues with the cubid 2699r case
and M10000 board by purchasing a new power brick to replace the one that
came with the cubid case.

Check out the thread here for me info:

http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview. ... adid=45191

Figueroasre

Re: network adapter issues on EPIA M

Post by Figueroasre » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:05 am

I hooked up a big-honkin capacitor yesterday and that seems to have solved the problem - though I have only restarted three times since then (update: I have not had a problem since then, many weeks now). :mrgreen:
Homeland Season 1 DVD says hello to all of TV fans!