There are threads on viaarena and probably other boards (like mini-itx.com and linitx.org) but in case anyone wants to discuss it here, please use this thread.
Feel free to post links to other threads on other forums with suggested workarounds.
I have also noticed that when I was running with only 128mb I was having problems, but with 256 it seems ok.
We Live to Survive our Paradoxes!
The earth wire has helped and the bios is already verion 1.0f so I may try the capacitor.
What I don't like is all the volts are a little low reported by the BIOS. I may try an find an old universal Transformer I have lying around somewhere and see if that works. Has anyone else tried changing the power brick?
I bought a 4700uF 35V Electrolytic cap from Radio Shack ($6 us). Probably overkill but they didn't have anything in a 16V.
I hooked up the minus lead to the black wire and the plus lead to the white wire just before the internal power regulator thingee. I unplugged the connector from the internal components and I actually wore safety glasses in case the cap decided to explode. Then I plugged in the external powerbrick and ... no sound, no smoke . So I hooked everything up and the system started. It seems to be running fine.
I didn't do any other mods, such as extra grounding wire or the bios.
Usually disclaimers about doing this at your own risk apply, of course.
Just for info, I managed to fix my network/power issues with the cubid 2699r case
and M10000 board by purchasing a new power brick to replace the one that
came with the cubid case.
Check out the thread here for me info:
http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview. ... adid=45191